Dimensional analysis (Speed of sound)

In summary, the angle θ is related to the Mach number M and the shear modulus G, and the radius and height of the object.
Firben
Speed of sound

The speed of sound c in a gas depends on among other things on the pressure on the gas, the density and probably, possibly on their viscosity. Determine c-

My Variable list:

Pressure p ML^-1T^-2
Density ρ ML^-3
Speed v LT^-1

My matrix:

| | M | L | T |
| p | 1 | -1 | -2 |
| ρ | 1 | -3 | 0 |
| v | 0 | 1 | -1 |

after a couple of row reductions i got it to be:

k = P/(ρv^2) (pi=k)(k = constant)

The answer should be v = k(P/ρ)^(1/2)

I'm doing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firben said:
Speed of sound

The speed of sound c in a gas depends on among other things on the pressure on the gas, the density and probably, possibly on their viscosity. Determine c-

My Variable list:

Pressure p ML^-1T^-2
Density ρ ML^-3
Speed v LT^-1

My matrix:

| | M | L | T |
| p | 1 | -1 | -2 |
| ρ | 1 | -3 | 0 |
| v | 0 | 1 | -1 |

after a couple of row reductions i got it to be:

k = P/(ρv^2) (pi=k)(k = constant)

The answer should be v = k(P/ρ)^(1/2)

I'm doing it right?

Your answer is essentially equivalent, except you've not rearranged it to get the velocity on the LHS, as required. Remember that k is just an arbitrary dimensionless constant, if you bring it to the other side and have to take the reciprocal, just replace it with another arbitrary dimensionless constant.

But then i will get:
kv^2=P/ρ => kv=√(P/ρ) =>v = (√(P/ρ))/k which is not equal to v = k√(P/ρ)

Firben said:
But then i will get:
kv^2=P/ρ => kv=√(P/ρ) =>v = (√(P/ρ))/k which is not equal to v = k√(P/ρ)

That's why I said k doesn't really "matter" - it's just a dimensionless constant. Just replace (1/k) in your expression with K (another constant). Even better, *start* with K in your derivation, and then replace 1/K with k, to get the exact same expression as the expected solution.

Remember, k (or K) is just an arbitrary dimensionless constant. If you move it around, reciprocate it, square it, etc., just replace it with another constant in the final expression to make it "neat".

Torsion

when a homogeneous circular rod is subjected to a torsional moment M it will deform. (The rod is fastened at the bottom). A measure of deformation is the angle θ with which the upper end is rotated.

Determine a relation between θ and M and the other quantities

My variable list:

Mach number M 1 (dimensionless)
Shear modulus G ML^-1T^-2
Angle θ 1 (dimensionless)
Radius r L
Height s L

My matrix

| |M|L|T|
|M|0|0|0|
|G|1|-1|-2|
|θ|0|0|0|
|r|0|1|0|
|s|0|1|0|

It should be θ = Φ((M/Gr^3), s/r)

Ss there something missing here ?

Related to Dimensional analysis (Speed of sound)

1. What is dimensional analysis and how is it related to the speed of sound?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze physical quantities and their relationships by examining their dimensions. In the case of the speed of sound, dimensional analysis can be used to determine the factors that affect the speed of sound, such as temperature, density, and pressure.

2. How is the speed of sound calculated using dimensional analysis?

The speed of sound can be calculated using the equation v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the ratio of specific heats for the medium, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. This equation is derived using dimensional analysis to ensure that all units are consistent.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used to compare the speed of sound in different mediums?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used to compare the speed of sound in different mediums. By analyzing the dimensions of the factors that affect the speed of sound, such as temperature and density, we can determine how these factors affect the speed of sound in different mediums.

4. How does dimensional analysis help in understanding the relationship between temperature and the speed of sound?

Dimensional analysis helps in understanding the relationship between temperature and the speed of sound by showing that the speed of sound is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used to predict the speed of sound in extreme conditions?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used to predict the speed of sound in extreme conditions. By analyzing the dimensions of the factors that affect the speed of sound, such as temperature and pressure, we can predict how the speed of sound will change in extreme conditions, such as high altitudes or low temperatures.