Dimensional Analysis problem - choosing variables

In summary, the person is looking for equations that will help them solve a dimensional analysis problem. They have chosen time, diameter of the tank, diameter of the hole, density of the water, and pressure as the variables. They have chosen gravity, and P as the last two variables. They have chosen Bernoulli's equation as a solution.
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hello guys!

I have a dimensional analysis problem where water is draining from a open topped tank and in a certain amount of time,t it drops from h1 to h2. and I need to find a bunch (6) of variables which apply to this problem. I have some but I am not sure about the other ones.

Homework Equations

I have to present my answer as deltaH (the change in height from h1 to h2) / d (the size of the hole from which water is flowing) = f(?,?,?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have chosen, the time it takes for the water to drop from a level, h1 to a level h2.

the diameter of the tank

the diameter of the hole which the water is draining from, which is on the floor of the tank in the middle.

the density of the water

and then the last two I'm not sure about. (It says its not viscous so I don think I can use that)

I chose g, gravity as I think that might effect flow
and P the pressure, which I am taking is the air pressure. [I think its possible exit velocity of the water should replace this but I'm really not sure.

this gives me:

delta H (the change in height from H1 to H2) = f(t,D,d,P,g, rho)

Could you guys give some advice about which equations I should use?

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Why don't you just solve this problem using Bernoulli's equation first? This will give you all the parameters involved, and then you can back out the dimensionless groups from that solution.

Chet

Ive never heard of Bernoulli's equation, ill have to check it out!

Hi everyone, thanks for posting, I've managed to do it but thanks for posting. I've never been told about Bernoulli's equation so I'll have to check it out, it sounds very useful if it can give you the variables! Thanks! :)

Related to Dimensional Analysis problem - choosing variables

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves using the dimensions of physical quantities, such as length, time, and mass, to create conversion factors that can be used to solve problems.

Why is it important to choose the correct variables in a dimensional analysis problem?

Choosing the correct variables is important in dimensional analysis because it ensures that the resulting conversion factor is accurate and applicable to the problem at hand. Using incorrect variables can lead to incorrect conversions and potentially incorrect solutions.

What are the steps for choosing variables in a dimensional analysis problem?

The steps for choosing variables in a dimensional analysis problem are as follows:

1. Identify the given quantity that needs to be converted.
  2. Identify the desired unit of measurement.
  3. List all relevant conversion factors for the given and desired units.
  4. Choose a conversion factor that cancels out the given unit and leaves the desired unit.
  5. Ensure that all units cancel out except for the desired unit.
  6. Perform the necessary calculations to obtain the conversion factor.

Can dimensional analysis be used for any type of unit conversion?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for any type of unit conversion as long as the given and desired units have a shared dimension. For example, length can be converted to length, time to time, and mass to mass.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when choosing variables in a dimensional analysis problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when choosing variables in a dimensional analysis problem are:

• Using incorrect conversion factors.
  • Not paying attention to the units and dimensions of the given and desired quantities.
  • Using too many or too few conversion factors.
  • Not canceling out all units except for the desired unit.