Dimensional analysis, I'm kinda lost

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for computing wind force on a body and the importance of keeping the equation dimensionally homogeneous. The units of 0.00256 are in lbf/(mi/h)^2, and the drag coefficient (Cd) is a dimensionless term. To non-dimensionalize this term, the wind velocity (V) and projected area (A) are needed. The importance of checking units is also emphasized.
coasterguy

Homework Statement

* The force of wind acting on a body can be computed by the formula:

F = 0.00256 Cd V2 A

where:

F = wind force (lbf)

Cd= drag coefficient (no units)

V = wind velocity (mi/h)

A = projected area(ft2)

* To keep the equation dimensionally homogeneous, what are the units of 0.00256?

The Attempt at a Solution

th_0925091636-01.jpg
I'm really new to this, and the professor didn't explain it well. IDK if I did that right so far, but I'm not sure what to do next. What does it mean by the units of .00256? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know this already, I will answer your question with another question.

What is the full definition of [tex]C_d[/tex] ?

What 2 important variables are missing to non-dimensionalize that term there?

As your topic implies, check your units.

Dimensional analysis is a powerful tool used in science and engineering to ensure that equations are consistent and meaningful. In this case, the units of 0.00256 must be determined in order for the equation to be dimensionally homogeneous, meaning that all units on both sides of the equation must match.

To determine the units of 0.00256, we can use the given equation and the units of the other variables to solve for the units of 0.00256. Starting with the units on the right side of the equation, we have lbf = no units * (mi/h)^2 * ft^2. Simplifying this, we get lbf = ft^2 * mi^2/h^2. Now, we can compare this to the units on the left side of the equation, which is lbf. We can see that the units of 0.00256 must be ft^2 * mi^2/h^2 in order for the equation to be dimensionally homogeneous.

In summary, the units of 0.00256 are ft^2 * mi^2/h^2, which means that it is a conversion factor that allows us to convert the units of wind velocity (mi/h) and projected area (ft^2) into the units of wind force (lbf). I hope this helps clarify the concept of dimensional analysis for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask your professor or seek additional resources. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Dimensional analysis, I'm kinda lost

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a problem-solving method used in physics and other sciences to convert units of measurement. It involves setting up and manipulating equations that relate different units of measurement to each other.

2. Why is dimensional analysis useful?

Dimensional analysis is useful because it allows scientists to convert units of measurement without having to memorize conversion factors. It also helps to catch errors in calculations and ensures that the final answer has the correct units.

3. How do I use dimensional analysis?

To use dimensional analysis, you must first identify the units you are given and the units you need to convert to. Then, set up a conversion factor that relates the two units and use it to cancel out the unwanted units. Repeat this process until you are left with the desired units.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid in dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid in dimensional analysis include forgetting to convert units in the numerator or denominator, using the wrong conversion factor, and not paying attention to significant figures. It is important to double-check your work to ensure that the final answer has the correct units.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used in any scientific field?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in any scientific field that involves measurements and units. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering, but can also be applied to other sciences such as biology and geology.