Dimension of $m \times n$ Matrices: Finding Basis

In summary, the dimension of the space of $2 \times 2$ matrices is $4$, as we need $4$ numbers to identify one. To find the dimension of the space of $m \times n$ matrices, we can find a basis by using matrices with a single $1$ in it and the rest $0$, and any matrix can be written as a linear combination of these matrices.
Guest2
What's the dimension of the space of $2 \times 2$ matrices? What's the dimension of the space of $m \times n$ matrices?

I know that matrices of size $m \times n$ with components in field $K$ form a vector space over $K$. To find the dimension, I would have to find basis. This I'm not quite sure how to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
What's the dimension of the space of $2 \times 2$ matrices? What's the dimension of the space of $m \times n$ matrices?

I know that matrices of size $m \times n$ with components in field $K$ form a vector space over $K$. To find the dimension, I would have to find basis. This I'm not quite sure how to do.

Hi Guest,

The dimension of matrices in $\mathbb R^{2 \times 2}$ is written as $2 \times 2$, which is equal to $4$, since we need $4$ numbers to identify one.

A basis of the matrices of size $m \times n$ is the set of those matrices with a single $1 \in K$ in it and the rest $0 \in K$.
Any matrix can be written as a linear combination of those single-entry matrices.

I will answer the first question only:

A (possible) basis for the space of 2x2 matrices is:

$\left\{\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0&1\\0&0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0&0\\1&0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}0&0\\0&1\end{bmatrix}\right\}$

Clearly this spans, so it falls to you to show linear independence. Try generalizing this.

Related to Dimension of $m \times n$ Matrices: Finding Basis

1. What is a basis for a matrix?

A basis for a matrix is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to span the entire space of the matrix. This means that any vector in the matrix can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do I find the basis for a given $m \times n$ matrix?

To find the basis for a given $m \times n$ matrix, first reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form (RREF). The columns with leading 1s in the RREF form the basis for the matrix. If there are any free variables, add corresponding unit vectors to the basis.

3. Can a matrix have more than one basis?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases. This is because there can be different sets of linearly independent vectors that can span the same space. However, all bases for a given matrix will have the same number of vectors.

4. Is the basis for a matrix unique?

No, the basis for a matrix is not unique. There can be different sets of linearly independent vectors that can span the same space, resulting in different bases for the matrix.

5. How do I determine the dimension of a matrix?

The dimension of a matrix is determined by the number of vectors in its basis. So, for a given $m \times n$ matrix, the dimension is equal to the number of linearly independent columns in its RREF.