Dimension of length using h,G,c

In summary, the homework statement states that dimension of length using h, G, c is [h] = [F r] and [L] = [ ## \sqrt{ \frac { hG}{c^3}}]
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-26_18-39-6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Dimension of length using h,G,c

[h] = [F r]

##[G] =[ \frac { Fr^2}{m^2} ]

\\ [\frac { hG}c] = [L] ##

So, the answer is option (b).

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-26_18-39-6.png
    upload_2017-12-26_18-39-6.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,384
Physics news on Phys.org
Mistake: [h ] ## \neq ## [Fr]

[h] = [mv r]

[L] = [ ## \sqrt{ \frac { hG}{c^3}}] ##

Is this correct?

Keep guessing & if we say 'yes' or 'no' you'll eventually hit it, won't you?
So rather than answer 'yes' or 'no' we prefer that you show how you arrived at your answer.
BTW why do you distinguish "r" from "L"? They're the same. For example, [G] =M-1L3T-2 etc. , don't need the "r". In SI (mks) there are only 4 dimensions, to wit, M,L,T and Q. (In cgs there are only the first three).

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
Is this correct?
Yes, but as rude man says your working would be clearer if you were to first reduce all the parameters to the standard set M, L, T... and introduce unknowns for the exponents of tne parameters.

Likes Pushoam
rude man said:
Keep guessing & if we say 'yes' or 'no' you'll eventually hit it, won't you?
So rather than answer 'yes' or 'no' we prefer that you show how you arrived at your answer.
BTW why do you distinguish "r" from "L"? They're the same. For example, [G] =M-1L3T-2 etc. , don't need the "r". In SI (mks) there are only 4 dimensions, to wit, M,L,T and Q. (In cgs there are only the first three).
I felt that I could solve the question without converting the dimensions into M,L,T. So, I went that way. I had the impression that that approach is faster. It may be that this impression is wrong.
I think you are suggesting me to do the following way:
I should write dimensions of G, h, c in M,L, T respectively.
And then I should solve the following dimensional equation.
[L] = ##[G]^p[h]^q [c]^r ##
I will get one equation for each dimension. This will give me the values of p,q,r. Thus I will reach the answer.

Related to Dimension of length using h,G,c

1. What is the dimension of length using h, G, and c?

The dimension of length using h, G, and c is known as the Planck length, which is equal to approximately 1.62 x 10^-35 meters.

2. How are h, G, and c related to the dimension of length?

h, G, and c are fundamental constants in physics that are used to calculate the Planck length. h is the Planck constant, G is the gravitational constant, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. Why are h, G, and c important in measuring length?

These constants are important because they provide a universal standard for measuring length in the subatomic realm. They are used in theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity to describe the fundamental properties of the universe.

4. Is the dimension of length using h, G, and c the smallest possible unit of length?

Yes, the Planck length is believed to be the smallest possible unit of length and is thought to be the scale at which quantum effects become significant.

5. How is the dimension of length using h, G, and c relevant in everyday life?

The Planck length is so small that it has no practical applications in everyday life. However, understanding this dimension can help us better understand the fundamental structure of the universe and how it operates on a subatomic level.