Dimension of interaction in a QFT theory

In summary, the problem statement is trying to find a beta function for the associated couplings for an interaction in a QFT. The solution is to rescale the fields, and then use the beta function to find the effective coupling.
nikosbak
The problem statement.

When an exercises say " the interaction in a QFT has dimensions Δ" , what does it mean?, it means the field or the Lagrangian has this mass dimension?

In this exercise I'm trying to find the classical beta function (β-function) for the assciated couling.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like they mean the power-counting dimension of the operator corresponding to the interaction in question, where the dimension of the field is determined from the kinetic term. So, in 4d for a scalar ##\phi##, the dimension of ##\phi^4## would be 4, while the dimension of ##\phi^2 (\partial \phi)^2## would be 6, etc.

Likes nikosbak
Oh I see , I think i got it , but still I don't see how to compute the beta function to get to the form
$$\beta(g)=(d-\Delta)g+\mathcal{O}(g^2)$$
I really appreciate the help :)

The full exercise is :

Show that if the interaction in a QFT is has dimension Δ then there is a classical β function for the associated coupling given by ,
Discuss what happens to interactions where Δ > d or Δ < d.

Any hits or insight will do , thank you very much :D

nikosbak said:
Oh I see , I think i got it , but still I don't see how to compute the beta function to get to the form
I really appreciate the help :)

The full exercise is :

Show that if the interaction in a QFT is has dimension Δ then there is a classical β function for the associated coupling given by ,
Discuss what happens to interactions where Δ > d or Δ < d.

Any hits or insight will do , thank you very much :D

I'll outline this, because once the concepts are put together, there really isn't a lot of work left for you to do.I will consider the case of a single field, but you should generalize the argument for multiple fields + allow for derivatives in the coupling.

Consider an interaction of the form

$$S_\text{int} = \int d^dx g_0 \Phi^r$$

and do the rescaling ##x\rightarrow \lambda x##. Under this transformation, the fields transform according to their scaling dimension, ##\delta##, namely ##\Phi\rightarrow \lambda^{-\delta}\Phi##. In fact, we will find that

$$S_\text{int} \rightarrow \int d^dx g_0 \lambda^\kappa \Phi^r,$$

for some exponent ##\kappa## that you should relate to ##d## and ##\Delta##. The theory is obviously only invariant under the scale transformation if the exponent ##\kappa## is zero for all of the terms in the action, but we can still define an effective coupling ##g(\lambda) = g_0 \lambda^\kappa##. The corresponding beta function, defined as

$$\beta_g(\lambda) = \lambda \frac{dg(\lambda)}{d\lambda},$$

can then be computed.

Ahaa I solved it . It was a lot easier that I thought !

thank for your time :)

Related to Dimension of interaction in a QFT theory

1. What is the dimension of interaction in a QFT theory?

The dimension of interaction in a QFT theory refers to the number of spatial dimensions in which particles interact with each other. In most QFT theories, this dimension is four, corresponding to the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time.

2. How does the dimension of interaction affect the behavior of particles in a QFT theory?

The dimension of interaction plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in a QFT theory. In lower dimensions, certain interactions that are possible in four dimensions, such as the exchange of virtual particles, are not allowed. This can result in different physical phenomena and behavior of particles.

3. Can the dimension of interaction be changed or varied in a QFT theory?

In most cases, the dimension of interaction is fixed in a QFT theory. However, there are some theories, such as string theory, that allow for different dimensions of interaction. In these cases, the dimension can be changed or varied, leading to different predictions and possible new physical phenomena.

4. How does the concept of renormalization relate to the dimension of interaction in a QFT theory?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in QFT to deal with infinities that arise in certain calculations. The dimension of interaction is a key factor in renormalization, as it determines the form of the equations used to remove these infinities. In higher dimensions, the renormalization process becomes more complicated and may not be successful in removing all infinities.

5. Are there any experimental observations that support the idea of a four-dimensional interaction in QFT?

Yes, there are numerous experimental observations that support the notion of a four-dimensional interaction in QFT. For example, the Standard Model of particle physics, which is based on QFT, accurately predicts the behavior of particles and their interactions in experiments conducted at the Large Hadron Collider. Additionally, the properties of particles, such as their mass and spin, are consistent with a four-dimensional interaction.