Dilution process in spectrophometer

In summary: When using spectrophotometer, to use Rambert-beer's law, we often go through dilution process. Then when measuring neutralization reaction and using week acid or base, then because of water's autoionizaition, i think the results have error. Is it right?After rereading and thinking about this again, the description is of two usually very separate things: Spectrophotometer to help measure concentration of some dissolved item which absorbs a specified wavelength of visible light; and neutralization titration between acid and base for which endpoint detection would be either by pH-meter, or acid-base indicator compound. These two ideas are usually not related. Maybe you tell what item is being measured?What i
Serenie
When using spectrophotometer, to use Rambert-beer's law, we often go through dilution process. Then when measuring neutralization reaction and using week acid or base, then because of water's autoionizaition, i think the results have error.
Is it right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The law relies on the idea that absorbance is a linear relationship to concentration. Ideally, linear, and (I believe) the line crosses the concentration-absorbance plot at the origin.

Serenie said:
when measuring neutralization reaction

Please elaborate, it is not clear to what you refer here. End point detection of titration, or something else?

Serenie said:
When using spectrophotometer, to use Rambert-beer's law, we often go through dilution process. Then when measuring neutralization reaction and using week acid or base, then because of water's autoionizaition, i think the results have error.
Is it right?
After reread and thinking about this again, the description is of two usually very separate things: Spectrophotometer to help measure concentration of some dissolved item which absorbs a specified wavelength of visible light; and neutralization titration between acid and base for which endpoint detection would be either by pH-meter, or acid-base indicator compound. These two ideas are usually not related. Maybe you tell what item is being measured?

What i mean is that when doing neutralization titration, we need to measure the concentration. And i want to measure it by spectrophotometer. But when using spectrophotometer, i often need to go through dilution process. Then, while doing the dilution process in the acid solutiton, the concentration may change because of water's autoionizaition.
So what I'm wondering is whether by doing dilution process, the change in concentration (because of autoionization) is trivial enough to ignore.

i'm sorry about my bad english.

Serenie said:
What i mean is that when doing neutralization titration, we need to measure the concentration.

No, we don't need to detect the concentration, we need to detect the endpoint of the titration. These are two different things.

In general the discussion behind is not very different from the discussion of the end point detection when using one- and two- color indicators. Compare http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-end-point-detection

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Dilution process in spectrophometer

1. What is the purpose of dilution in spectrophotometry?

Dilution is used in spectrophotometry to decrease the concentration of a sample so that it falls within the linear range of the instrument. This allows for accurate measurements and avoids saturation of the detector.

2. How is dilution performed in spectrophotometry?

Dilution is typically performed by adding a measured volume of the sample to a larger volume of solvent. This decreases the concentration of the sample, but maintains the same ratio of absorbance to concentration.

3. How does dilution affect the absorbance reading in spectrophotometry?

Dilution decreases the absorbance reading in spectrophotometry because it decreases the concentration of the sample. This results in a proportionate decrease in the amount of light absorbed by the sample.

4. Can dilution affect the accuracy of spectrophotometric measurements?

Yes, dilution can affect the accuracy of spectrophotometric measurements if it is not done properly. If the dilution is not within the linear range of the instrument or if the dilution is not performed accurately, it can lead to inaccurate results.

5. Is there a limit to how much a sample can be diluted in spectrophotometry?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a sample can be diluted in spectrophotometry. Diluting a sample too much can result in a very low signal, making it difficult to measure accurately. It is important to determine the appropriate dilution factor for each sample to ensure accurate measurements.