Dilemma of a New Teacher: Should I Stay or Go?

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: to go for the alternative certification. if you don't have it, you'll have a really hard time getting a full-time position. if you do have it, it's worth it.
happyg1
Hi,
I have interviewed for a full-time position 2 times and both times I was told that the only reason that I was not hired was because the person that was chosen had more experience than I do...however the Department heads both times told me that they want me to stick around to teach 10-14 hours (full time is 15, as you probably know). I only have a year in the classroom outside of being a TA (for two years, plus EXTENSIVE tutoring) and the people that were chosen both have 20+ years experience(CLASSROOM).

I have had EXCELLENT student evals and my failure rate is HALF of my colleagues'. (Not hard to have a rate that's half of everyone else's when the existing one was 50%...)

Should I go to the high school realm or should I go ahead and make $20,000/yr less than those who are teaching fewer classes? (I'm teaching Developmental Math and it's a 3-2-2 set up ((3 hours credit, 2 hours lecture, 2 hours lab...as of this semester, the TA's will run the labs))...we only get 2 hours credit for each class) which means that 14 hours is 7 classes. The full time folks have 5 or MAYBE 6 classes. Is this considered paying my dues or just "we need a body"?

Do you think that I have a chance of going full time? Am I just being used? Or both?

You guys who have been there please tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance,
CC

Physics news on Phys.org

Regarding the high school option, does your state have a fast-track to the classroom (aka "alternative licensure" or "alternative certification"), or will you need to take the required education coursework first before you can get a job?

Yeah, We have the fast track thing. You are required to take online classes with the University and are allowed to teach in the meantime. There are 2 spots open now for the Fall in Trig, Calc I and Algebra (I & II). I don't know what to do. I like teaching in the College setting because classroom management issues are much easier. The high school here can be scary. Lots of gangs, etc...

Last edited:

according to ks_physicist
it sounds like a must

Related to Dilemma of a New Teacher: Should I Stay or Go?

1. What factors should a new teacher consider when facing the dilemma of whether to stay or go?

Some of the factors a new teacher should consider are the school's culture, support from colleagues and administration, work-life balance, salary and benefits, and professional development opportunities.

2. How can a new teacher determine if they are a good fit for the school or district?

A new teacher can determine if they are a good fit by observing the school's teaching methods and curriculum, talking to current teachers and students, and evaluating their own teaching style and beliefs against the school's values and goals.

3. What are some red flags that a new teacher should watch out for in their current teaching position?

Red flags to watch out for in a current teaching position include lack of support from colleagues and administration, excessive workload, conflicts with school culture and values, and lack of opportunities for growth and development.

4. How can a new teacher decide if it's worth staying at a school despite facing challenges?

A new teacher can make this decision by weighing the pros and cons of staying at the school, considering the potential for growth and improvement, seeking feedback from mentors and colleagues, and reflecting on their own personal and professional goals.

5. What resources are available for a new teacher who is struggling with the dilemma of staying or leaving?

There are several resources available for new teachers, including mentorship programs, professional development workshops, online forums and communities, and counseling services. Additionally, speaking with experienced educators and seeking advice from trusted friends and family can also be helpful in making this decision.