Dilemma: I want to be a physicist, but I'm mediocre in classical mechanics

In summary: But for now, focus on developing a strong foundation in math through your calculus and general chemistry courses. In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's strengths in math and their struggles with classical mechanics. They are interested in pursuing more abstract subjects like quantum mechanics and string theory but are unsure due to their difficulty in classical mechanics. The experts suggest waiting until after studying electromagnetism to make a decision and focus on developing a strong foundation in math.
brynn
Hi everyone.

I'm having a little crisis here. I'm really really good in math (I'm doing calculus right now, and it's a breeze), but classical mechanics are giving me a hard time. I'm also doing general chemistry right now and I find it fun and easy as well. Basically, the more abstract something is, the better I understand it.

And I wanted to study more abstract subjects such as quantum mechanics, or string theory. Seeing as classical mechanics does not come as naturally to me as math, I was wondering if I should pursue this career.

Thanks.

Edit: I haven't done optics and electricity yet.
Edit 2: I do have good grades, As, but it doesn't come to me naturally.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From your post, I'm assuming you're a freshman in college. At that level, you haven't been exposed to any more advanced topics in anything, so it's really hard to say what you're "good" at and what you're "bad" at. Calculus is usually a cake walk for physicists, so be careful about saying that you're really really good at math. Wait until you're get to at least the intermediate courses before you decide what your strengths and weaknesses are.

In my experience, elementary physics courses seldom make sense because you are only taught bits and pieces of things and are usually told "here's a problem; here's an equation to solve that problem". You can't fully understand where anything comes from because that would require a higher level of math than you have.

From reading your post I get the sense that you are a first year undergraduate, about to finish his/her first semester. So what I would say is that you are not learning "Classical Mechanics" but rather introductory Newtonian Mechanics, which in my opinion was always more or less a class on physical intuition. You might enjoy Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism taught in more advanced Mechanics courses rather than Newtonian, which is much more mathematical in its approach to solving problems and less "seeing" forces.

I would suggest waiting until after Electromagnetism before making your decision, you will find it much more mathematical in its approach than Newtonian mechanics, as is the rest of modern physics.

Last edited:

Related to Dilemma: I want to be a physicist, but I'm mediocre in classical mechanics

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Can I still be a physicist if I am mediocre in classical mechanics?

Yes, being mediocre in one aspect of physics does not mean you cannot excel in other areas. There are many other fields within physics, such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and electromagnetism, that you may excel in.

3. How important is classical mechanics in physics?

Classical mechanics is considered to be the foundation of physics and is essential for understanding many other branches of physics. It provides a framework for understanding the motion of objects and is used in many real-world applications, such as engineering and astronomy.

4. What can I do to improve my understanding of classical mechanics?

Practicing problems and seeking help from a tutor or professor can greatly improve your understanding of classical mechanics. It is also important to have a solid understanding of mathematics, as it is a crucial tool in solving problems in classical mechanics.

5. Are there any famous physicists who struggled with classical mechanics?

Yes, there have been many famous physicists who initially struggled with classical mechanics, but went on to make significant contributions to the field. One example is Albert Einstein, who struggled with the concept of motion before developing his theory of relativity.