Dilatant Fluids: Deriving Formulas for Experiments

• Thread starter Nimitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the student is preparing a demonstration for kids, featuring non-Newtonian fluids (corn starch, I assume), and will be deriving formulas afterward. The demonstrations are fun and varied, but the mathematical formulas involved are advanced calculus. The general notion, I'm sure you already have got: the more you increase the stress (force per unit area), the greater the viscosity. The concept is fun, and the general idea can be explained to kids, but it would be a waste of your effort to expect these kids to appreciate the formulas. See if it is "OK enough" to stick to the proportionality of stress (force) with viscosity (thickness).
Nimitz

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not using the given template because I have a question to ask, to which I do not know the answer...

So;
My teacher gave me an assignment where we had to do an interesting and exciting experiment for some small kids, and afterwards derive the formulas important in the experiment we did (alone for the teacher).
Doing a funny experiment with dilatant fluids is obviously not a problem, but I have almost no idea how one would derive the formulas which would appear in such a context (also because I don't even know which formulas I should try to derive in the first place!).

Wikipedia (specifically the german one) gives me some hints, but it isn't enough.

Anybody maybe have some special knowledge on this?

If this is an incorrect form for opening a new thread please be so kind and tell me what I should do different...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nimitz said:
My teacher gave me an assignment where we had to do an interesting and exciting experiment for some small kids, and afterwards derive the formulas important in the experiment we did (alone for the teacher).
Doing a funny experiment with dilatant fluids is obviously not a problem, but I have almost no idea how one would derive the formulas which would appear in such a context (also because I don't even know which formulas I should try to derive in the first place!).

So, you are preparing a demonstration for kids, featuring non-Newtonian fluids (corn starch, I assume), and will be deriving formulas afterward? The demonstrations are fun and varied, but the mathematical formulas involved are advanced calculus ("differential equations," if I recall correctly). The general notion, I'm sure you already have got: the more you increase the stress (force per unit area), the greater the viscosity. The concept is fun, and the general idea can be explained to kids, but it would be a waste of your effort to expect these kids to appreciate the formulas. See if it is "OK enough" to stick to the proportionality of stress (force) with viscosity (thickness).

Make sure you do the demo of corn starch on a subwoofer; see if your teacher has a good function generator.

Chi Meson said:
So, you are preparing a demonstration for kids, featuring non-Newtonian fluids (corn starch, I assume), and will be deriving formulas afterward? The demonstrations are fun and varied, but the mathematical formulas involved are advanced calculus ("differential equations," if I recall correctly). The general notion, I'm sure you already have got: the more you increase the stress (force per unit area), the greater the viscosity. The concept is fun, and the general idea can be explained to kids, but it would be a waste of your effort to expect these kids to appreciate the formulas. See if it is "OK enough" to stick to the proportionality of stress (force) with viscosity (thickness).

Make sure you do the demo of corn starch on a subwoofer; see if your teacher has a good function generator.

No the presentation of the experiment and the derivation of the formulas is done separately.The kids only get to see the experiment, the teacher sees both the experiment and then later my presentation about how to derive the formulas (with no kids around at that point).

I wish I'd have to do it for the kids, then I could be allowed to simplify it, as it is now though there's no way I can wiggle myself through like that...

Related to Dilatant Fluids: Deriving Formulas for Experiments

1. What are dilatant fluids?

Dilatant fluids, also known as shear thickening fluids, are non-Newtonian fluids that exhibit an increase in viscosity when subjected to shear stress. This means that the more force is applied to the fluid, the thicker it becomes.

2. How do you derive formulas for experiments using dilatant fluids?

The formulas for experiments with dilatant fluids can be derived using rheological measurements, such as shear rate and shear stress, and by studying the behavior of the fluid under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure. These measurements and observations can be used to create mathematical models that describe the behavior of dilatant fluids.

3. What are the applications of dilatant fluids?

Dilatant fluids have a wide range of applications, including body armor, liquid body armor, and protective coatings. They are also used in the production of certain materials, such as ceramics and composites, and in the manufacturing of various products, such as paints, adhesives, and lubricants.

4. What factors can affect the behavior of dilatant fluids?

The behavior of dilatant fluids can be affected by several factors, including the concentration and size of suspended particles, the type of particles present, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and the shear rate and shear stress applied to the fluid.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with dilatant fluids?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with dilatant fluids. These fluids can become very thick and difficult to move when subjected to high shear stress, which can make them dangerous to handle. It is important to follow proper safety measures and precautions when working with dilatant fluids to avoid accidents and injuries.