Digital Technology - CDs and Storage Space

In summary, a CD, or Compact Disc, is a digital optical disc used for storing and playing back audio, video, and other data. It has a storage capacity of 700 MB, with other types of CDs able to hold up to 1.3 GB. CD-R can only be written on once, while CD-RW can be rewritten multiple times. The limited storage capacity of CDs is due to their physical size and design, but digital technology has improved this by allowing for data compression and advancements in laser technology.
Peter G.
Hi,

My teacher gave me the following information and asked me to prove that 1 minute of music requires 10 MB of storage space in a CD.

Sampling Rate: 44.1 kHz
Bit Depth: 16 bits
No. Channels: 2

I am a bit confused. If the bit depth is 16, that means I have 4 bits. But I only get the correct answer when I use 16 bits. Should instead of Bit depth it say number of bits?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
In digital audio, bit depth describes the number of bits of information recorded for each sample.

Wikipedia, therefore unreliable.

Bit depth means number of bits.

What is a CD?

A CD, short for Compact Disc, is a digital optical disc used for storing and playing back audio, video, and other data. It was first introduced in the 1980s and has become a popular medium for storing and distributing digital content.

How much data can a CD hold?

A standard CD has a storage capacity of 700 MB, which is equivalent to approximately 80 minutes of audio or 60 minutes of video. However, there are also other types of CDs, such as the double-layered or dual-layered CD, which can hold up to 1.3 GB of data.

What is the difference between CD-R and CD-RW?

CD-R (CD-Recordable) and CD-RW (CD-ReWritable) are two types of CDs with different capabilities. CD-R can only be written on once, meaning the data cannot be changed or deleted. On the other hand, CD-RW can be rewritten multiple times, allowing for data to be added, edited, or deleted.

Why do CDs have a limited storage capacity?

The limited storage capacity of CDs is due to their physical size and design. CDs use a series of pits and lands on their surface to store data, and there is only a finite amount of space on the disc for these pits and lands. Additionally, CDs are designed to be read by lasers, which have a limited precision and can only read a certain amount of data per unit of time.

How does digital technology improve storage space on CDs?

Digital technology has greatly improved the storage space on CDs by allowing for data to be compressed and encoded in more efficient ways. This allows for more data to be stored on a CD without compromising its physical size or quality. Additionally, advancements in laser technology have also increased the precision and speed of reading data from a CD, allowing for larger amounts of data to be read in a shorter amount of time.