Diffusion vs. Size: Exploring Eq. 4.14

• Thread starter superwolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffusion
In summary, the goal of this exercise is to determine the diffusion coefficient of different proteins using the Stokes formula and the Einstein-Smoluchowski equation. Fick's law is commonly used for diffusion processes but in this case, the latter equation is more appropriate. It is important to keep in mind that these calculations assume ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.
superwolf

Homework Statement

23v11kk.jpg

fctgth.jpg

Eq. 4.14:

[tex]
\zeta = 6 \pi \eta R
[/tex] (Stokes formula)

2. The attempt at a solution

In my plot, collagen, hemoglobin and lactoglobulin give a straight line, while ribonuclease is a bit above the others.

I don't know which diffusion law I'm supposed to use. Fick's? Anyway, here's what I've done:

[tex]
\zeta = 6 \pi \eta R
[/tex]

[tex]
\eta = 10^-3 kgm^{-1}s^{-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
k_BT = 4.1E-21 J
[/tex]

[tex]
\zeta D = k_BT \Rightarrow D = \frac{k_BT}{\zeta} = \frac{k_BT}{6\pi \eta}\cdot\frac{1}{R} \Rightarrow D = 2.2E-19 \cdot \frac{1}{R}
[/tex]

Am I on the right track? I'm not sure what the problem asks me to do, really...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and calculations. It seems like you are on the right track, but let me clarify the problem for you. The goal of this exercise is to determine the diffusion coefficient (D) of different proteins, given their size (R) and viscosity (η). In this case, you are using the Stokes formula (Eq. 4.14) to calculate the friction coefficient (ζ) of each protein. This friction coefficient is related to the diffusion coefficient through the Einstein-Smoluchowski equation (ζD = kBT). So, using your calculations, you can determine the diffusion coefficient for each protein, which will allow you to compare their diffusive behavior.

In terms of the diffusion law, Fick's law is commonly used for describing diffusion processes, but in this case, the Einstein-Smoluchowski equation is more appropriate since it takes into account the size and viscosity of the particles. Keep in mind that these calculations assume ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to Diffusion vs. Size: Exploring Eq. 4.14

What is diffusion and how does it relate to size?

Diffusion is the process by which particles in a substance move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Size is related to diffusion because smaller particles are able to diffuse more quickly than larger particles due to their smaller size and increased surface area.

What is Eq. 4.14 and why is it important in this context?

Eq. 4.14 refers to a mathematical equation that relates the rate of diffusion to the size of the particles involved. It is important in this context because it helps us understand the relationship between diffusion and size and how it affects the rate of diffusion.

How can Eq. 4.14 be used to explore the relationship between diffusion and size?

Eq. 4.14 can be used to predict the rate of diffusion based on the size of the particles involved. By plugging in different values for particle size, we can see how it affects the rate of diffusion and better understand the relationship between the two.

Are there any limitations to Eq. 4.14 when exploring diffusion and size?

Yes, there are limitations to Eq. 4.14 when exploring diffusion and size. This equation assumes that the particles involved are all of the same size, shape, and mass, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, other factors such as temperature and concentration gradients can also affect the rate of diffusion.

How can understanding the relationship between diffusion and size be useful in scientific research or practical applications?

Understanding the relationship between diffusion and size can be useful in various scientific fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It can help in designing experiments and predicting outcomes, as well as in developing practical applications such as drug delivery systems and water filtration processes.