Diffusion model using gas pressure decay

In summary, the experiment involves filling a cylinder with helium until the gas pressure is 100 bars, and then sealing it. The pressure then drops with time due to diffusion of gas into the liquid. The questions involve determining the solubility of helium at high pressure using Henry's law, calculating the amount of helium in the liquid over time using the diffusion rate, and determining the diffusion gradient across the liquid after 12 hours.
QforK
Hi,

This isn't a homework problem - this is to help with the design of an experiment. I know the questions below are probably fairly simple physics questions, but I've got lost in laws and units! Please help me out.

The experiment

A cylinder 20cm long and 2cm wide is filled with 6cm of liquid so that there is 14cm for gas available above the liquid. From the top, the cylinder is filled with helium until the gas pressure is 100 bars. Then the cylinder is sealed. The pressure in the cylinder drops with time, which in a closed system is assumed to result from diffusion of the gas into the liquid.

So...

The problem

1) If I know the solubility of helium in the liquid at atmospheric pressure, how can I arrive at the solubility at high pressure? If it's using henry's law (as far as I've got) then how do I get the henry's constant for a liquid?

2) If I know D, the diffusion rate, of helium in this liquid, how can I calculate the theoretical amount of helium (mol) in the liquid with time?

3) How can I arrive at a modeled diffusion gradient across the 6cm of liquid at the end of the experiment? Let's say the experiment lasts 12 hours.

Thanks so much for your help,
QforK

Physics news on Phys.org
The Henry's law constant for most gases is available in the literature. The concentration in the liquid at the interface is equal to the pressure in the gas times the Henry's law constant. Below the interface, you have a transient diffusion problem analogous mathematically to the transient conduction heat transfer problem for a bar.

Related to Diffusion model using gas pressure decay

1. What is diffusion and how does it work?

Diffusion is the process by which molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This happens due to the random motion of molecules and does not require any external force.

2. How is gas pressure decay used to model diffusion?

In the gas pressure decay method, a gas is released into a container and the pressure is measured over time. As the gas molecules diffuse into the empty space in the container, the pressure decreases. This can be used to calculate the diffusion coefficient of the gas.

3. What factors affect the rate of diffusion in the gas pressure decay model?

The rate of diffusion in the gas pressure decay model is affected by several factors, including the type of gas, temperature, pressure, and the size of the container. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in faster diffusion rates.

4. What are some limitations of using the gas pressure decay model for diffusion?

One limitation of the gas pressure decay model is that it assumes the gas molecules behave ideally, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. The model also does not take into account the effect of other gases present in the container, which can affect the diffusion rate.

5. How is the diffusion coefficient calculated in the gas pressure decay model?

The diffusion coefficient can be calculated using the equation D = (V/At) x (L/Pi), where D is the diffusion coefficient, V is the volume of the container, A is the surface area, t is the time, L is the distance the gas has traveled, and Pi is the pressure at the start of the experiment.