Diffusion equation, semi-infinite solution

In summary: T(0,0) = g(0) + C_{1} = f(0) + C_{1}Is this the solution you were looking for?Yes, this is the solution!In summary, the person is looking for help with a diffusion equation and is stuck on the spatial problem. They have found that using separation of variables and Fourier transforms solves the spatial portion of the problem, but the time-dependent portion is still not clear. They are then advised to take a limit as x -> infinity, which will give them the solution for C1.
geetar_king
help w/ diffusion equation on semi-infinite domain 0<x<infinity

Woo! First post! And I'm trying out/learning the latex code which is really neato!

Okay, so... please help!

I'm trying to solve

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{1}{x}\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = \frac{1}{\alpha}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}
[/tex]

for [tex] 0 < x < \infty [/tex]
with initial condition such as [tex] T(x,0) = g(x) [/tex]

and [tex] T(\infty,t) = C_{1} [/tex]
and [tex] T(0,t) = f(t)[/tex]

Is this achievable with separation of variables? I get stuck with the spatial problem and the B.Cs.

The two equations i got using separation of variables were:

let
[tex]
T(x,t) = U(x)V(t)
[/tex]

then
[tex] U''V + \frac{1}{x}U'V = \frac{1}{\alpha}UV' [/tex]

[tex] V(U''+\frac{1}{x}U') = \frac{1}{\alpha}UV' [/tex]

[tex]\frac{V'}{V} = \frac{\alpha}{U}(U''+\frac{U'}{x}) = -\lambda [/tex]

so the spatial problem I get is [tex]U''+\frac{1}{x}U'+\frac{\lambda}{\alpha}U = 0[/tex]

I am unsure of the boundary conditions for the spatial problem

time problem I get is [tex]V' = -\lambda V [/tex]

Can this be solved with these B.Cs? I don't know because its non homogeneous B.Cs and now I am stuck. I've tried a forum search but haven't had any luck.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Let me know if anything is unclear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i noticed the latex code doesn't show up well in internet explorer... anyone else having that problem? in firefox it looks great!?

T(inf,t) = constant and T(0,t) = f(t) are your spatial boundary conditions.

Looks like it's separable to me...

Yes, then does that imply T(inf) = constant and T(0) = f(t)??

If T(inf,t) was = 0 then since T(x,t) = U(x)V(t) then you could say T(inf)=0 else its trivial solution. I wasnt sure if i could do that with these boundary conditions... Are you sure?

With the non homogeneous b.c., if T(inf,t) = constant = U(x)V(t) then i don't know if you can use the same approach..?

Last edited:
It doesn't imply T(inf) = constant, it says T(inf,0) = constant. Same with T(0) =/= f(t), T(0,t) = f(t).

Oh.. Okay i see.

So T(inf,0) = constant and T(0,0) = f(t)

So what does this mean for my spatial problem from separation?

T(0,0)=f(t) = U(0)V(0) so since its a function of time only then this implies U(0) = 1 ?

And then U(inf) = C1

So my spatial problem BVP will be the same as above with
U(0) = 1
U(inf) = C1

does that look right? i haven't done pdes for a while so I am rusty..! haha thanks for the help though feldoh

Last edited:
As far as I can tell those boundary conditions for the spatial portion looks right!

im stuck with separation by variables. I think i need to use method of characteristics

Hmm? I believe that the solution to the spatial portion of the problem is a linear combination of Bessel functions.

Surely the time-dependent portion is straight forward enough.

Yes the time dependent portion is fine, but I can't get the spatial portion...!

If I multiple through by x^2 then it ends up looking like bessel solution will work

[tex] x^{2} U'' + xU' + \frac{\lambda}{\alpha}x^{2}U = 0 [/tex]

except for the [tex] \frac{\lambda}{\alpha} [/tex] term

Last edited:
Can i do it with Fourier transforms?

What is the Fourier transform of
[tex]
\frac{1}{x}\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}
[/tex]

[tex]
F(\frac{1}{x}\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{1}{x}\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} e^{i \theta x}dx = ??
[/tex]

Last edited:
okay scrap fourier.

So back to separation of variables.

[tex]T(x,t) = U(x)V(t)[/tex][tex]U''V + \frac{1}{x}U'V = \frac{1}{\alpha}UV'[/tex]

[tex]\frac{U''}{U}+\frac{U'}{xU} = \frac{1}{\alpha} \frac{V'}{V} = -\lambda^2[/tex]

time problem is [tex] V' + \alpha\lambda^{2}V = 0[/tex]
which has the solution form [tex] V(t)=Ae^{-\alpha\lambda^{2}t}[/tex]

spatial problem is
[tex]U''+\frac{U'}{x}+\lambda^{2}U = 0[/tex]

multiple through by [tex]x^2[/tex]
[tex]x^{2}U''+xU'+\lambda^{2}x^{2}U = 0[/tex]

solution form using bessel functions is
[tex]U(x) = BJ_{0}(\lambda x) + CY_{0}(\lambda x)[/tex]

now I think i can say C=0 since [tex]Y_{0}[/tex] is singular at x=0 and I'm looking for a physical solution.. (not sure about this)

then solution has the form

[tex]T(x,t) = [De^{-\alpha\lambda^{2}t}]J_{0}(\lambda x)[/tex] where [tex]D = AB[/tex]

with initial conditions [tex]T(x,0) = g(x)[/tex]
and [tex]T(\infty,t) = C_{1}[/tex]
and [tex]T(0,t) = f(t)[/tex]

how should I approach this now?

Last edited:
So far so good...

Just take a limit as x -> infinity which must be equal to C1

J0(0) = 1, so you can probably go from there.

Two equations two unknowns (lambda, and the product of coefficients from the spatial and time solutions, A*B)

The only problem I can see is, well... isn't x-->infinity = 0 since J0(infinity) =>0. So for non-zero C1 that won't work...

[tex]T(0,0) = g(0) = f(0) =
[De^{-\alpha\lambda^{2}(0)}]J_{0}(\lambda (0)) = D(1)(1)
[/tex]

so [tex] D = g(0) = f(0) [/tex]

Last edited:
Does C1 physically make sense if it's zero? I mean 0 is constant so mathematically it works I believe.

C1=0 would make physical sense, but I would like to be able to use for example C1 = 20

its almost like it needs to take the form
[tex]
T(0,0) = g(0) = f(0) =
T(x,t) = [De^{-\alpha\lambda^{2}(t)}]J_{0}(\lambda (x)) + C_{1}

[/tex]

i'm not sure because all bessels -->0 as x-->infinity

I thought of maybe leaving Y0 in, but then there would be no solution at x=0

Last edited:
Feldoh, I think I have to try a different method! What do you think. Would doing a laplace transform on the PDE help me out here?

Last edited:
it's the non homogeneous boundary conditions that are making this tough. it would be a lot easier if T=0 at each boundary

Related to Diffusion equation, semi-infinite solution

1. What is the diffusion equation and what does it describe?

The diffusion equation is a mathematical model that describes the process of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to study the distribution of particles in a medium over time.

2. What is a semi-infinite solution in the context of the diffusion equation?

A semi-infinite solution in the diffusion equation refers to a scenario where the concentration of particles is only changing in one direction, while remaining constant in the other direction. This is often used to model diffusion in a boundary where one side is infinite and the other side is a solid surface.

3. What are the assumptions made in the semi-infinite solution of the diffusion equation?

The semi-infinite solution assumes that the concentration of particles at the boundary is constant, that there is no flow or movement of particles through the boundary, and that the diffusion coefficient is constant throughout the medium.

4. How is the semi-infinite solution of the diffusion equation solved?

The semi-infinite solution can be solved using the method of separation of variables, which involves separating the variables of time and space and solving them separately. This results in an infinite series solution, which can then be used to calculate the concentration of particles at different points in the medium over time.

5. What are the applications of the semi-infinite solution of the diffusion equation?

The semi-infinite solution of the diffusion equation has many practical applications, including the study of heat transfer, mass transfer, and chemical reactions. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, environmental science, and material science to understand and predict the behavior of particles in different mediums.