Diffusion Equation and variable of Similitude

In summary: This method can be applied to many different types of equations and is a useful tool in fluid dynamics.
mullzer
I am studying fluid dynamics by using adimensional analysis to obtain an expression for a dynamic (thermal) boundary layer in a poiseuille flow. The fluid nearest the boundary (y = 0) is said to have adimenional temperature T = 1 and as y tends to infinity, the temperature is T = 0.

The final adimensionalised problem usually take the form of the diffusion equation, e.g.

2y(dT/dx) = (d2T/dy2)

The method preferred by my superior is use "invariance groups"- i.e. to brake each variable in the problem into two parts: e.g. y = y*.y^ which leads to:

2(y*.y^) (T*/x*)(dT^/dx^) = (T*/y*2)(d2T/dy2)

The priniciple here is that in order for the original expression to hold true, all the * variables must cancel out to 1, leaving the original equation.

Equating the * terms brings the relation: y*= x*1/3.

The variable of similitude is then introduced, n= y/x(1/3), and the temperature can be written T(x,y) = f(n).

What i can't grasp is how to formulate this f(n). In this example, it takes the form:

f'' + (2/3)n2f' = 0.

I am not only interested in how this specific example was formulated but also the method in general as I am quite unfamiliar with it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The method you are referring to is sometimes called the similarity transformation. This method is used to reduce a complicated partial differential equation to an ordinary one. In this case, the equation is a diffusion equation. The idea is to transform the equation in such a way that the new equation has the same solution as the original equation. To do this, you need to define a new variable, n, which is a function of both x and y. This is the "variable of similitude." Then, substitute this new variable into the original equation. This will result in a new equation with only one variable (n) instead of two variables (x and y). Then, you can solve the ordinary differential equation for f(n). In your example, the variable of similitude is defined as n = y/x^(1/3). Then, the equation is transformed to f''(n) + (2/3)n^2f'(n) = 0. This ordinary differential equation can then be solved to find f(n).

Related to Diffusion Equation and variable of Similitude

1. What is the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation is a mathematical model used to describe the process of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is a partial differential equation that relates the rate of change of concentration to the concentration gradient and diffusion coefficient.

2. What are the variables of similitude?

The variables of similitude are the parameters that affect the behavior of a system and remain constant when studying the system under different conditions. In the context of the diffusion equation, the variables of similitude include time, length scale, concentration, and diffusion coefficient.

3. How is the diffusion equation solved?

The diffusion equation can be solved using various methods such as analytical, numerical, and approximate solutions. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact mathematical expression for the concentration distribution. Numerical solutions use algorithms to approximate the solution at discrete points in space and time. Approximate solutions involve simplifying the diffusion equation to make it easier to solve.

4. What is the significance of the diffusion coefficient?

The diffusion coefficient is a measure of how easily particles can move through a medium. It is an important parameter in the diffusion equation as it determines the rate at which diffusion occurs. Different substances have different diffusion coefficients, and it can also be affected by temperature, pressure, and other factors.

5. How is the diffusion equation used in real-world applications?

The diffusion equation has many applications in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is commonly used to model diffusion processes such as heat transfer, mass transfer, and chemical reactions. It is also used in the study of diffusion in living organisms, diffusion in porous media, and diffusion in materials science.