Diffraction Minima confusion-

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation sin(theta) = p*lambda/a to calculate the slit width in a two-slit diffraction experiment. The question arises of whether to use a= (p)*lambda/(sin(theta)) or a=(p+.5)*lambda/sin(theta), and it is determined that the latter is the correct equation to use. It is also explained that the overlaid interference patterns in this experiment are due to the widths of the two slits, and the intensity of the fringes decreases as the distance from the center increases. The conversation also clarifies that the term "diffraction minima" may be misleading in this case, as they are actually areas of constructive interference rather than dark spots
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

I did a physics lab the other day that dealt with two slit diffraction. In my setup, I also saw two faint diffraction minima, and it is my understanding that there is also some single slit diffraction effects.

I measured the position a diffraction minimum to be y= 8.775 cm. I am asked to calculate the slit width a using equation sin(theta)=p*lambda/a, where a is slit width.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is do I use a= (p)*lambda/(sin(theta)) or a=(p+.5)*lambda/sin(theta)

I know that in single slit diffraction you don't add a .5 to the value for p, but I was just wondering if it is any different for this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is no different. You are seeing the two interference patterns overlaid on each other.

The single slit interference pattern creates the first minimum at the point where rays from either side of the gap meet (ironically) with constructive interference; where one has traveled an extra distance equal to one wavelength. Therefore, you do not use the ".5" .

You will notice that the central fringe is twice as wide as the higher order fringes. This is indicative of the "single slit" pattern, and the "full integer multiple."

The fringes that are due to the distance between the two gaps, you will notice, are all the same width, including the central fringe. This indicates the necessity of the "integer +.5" multiples when determining the minimums.

Also, in this case I would use p=1, because these are the first pair of diffraction minima. The wavelength of the laser was 650 nm and the distance to the screen was 5.52 m.

so tan(theta)= y/L

tan(theta)=(8.775cm/552cm) theta= .911 degrees.

a= (1)(6.50*10e-7m)/(sin(.911)) a= 0.0409mm. Is this correct?

Thanks.. so why do I see single-slit diffraction-behavior with this double slit experiment

bcjochim07 said:
Thanks.. so why do I see single-slit diffraction-behavior with this double slit experiment

Because each slit has a width!

If the two slits had narrower widths, then the overlaid single-slit interference pattern would be wider apart, but the two-slit pattern would stay the same.

If the space between the slits narrowed, while the widths stayed the same, then the two-slit pattern would change, and the single slit pattern would be the same.

So... just to get this straight, on my screen the diffraction minima will not be dark spots, but rather sort of faded-out looking maxima, where constructive interference occurs. Calling them diffraction "minima" is kind of misleading because of this fact. The reason they are faded out is because the two slits have widths, and therefore, the wavelets in each aperture have the opportunity to interfere with each other, so that the amplitude of the waves is not uniform when meet. This is why the intensity of the fringes decreases as y increases. Right?

Related to Diffraction Minima confusion-

1. What is diffraction minima confusion?

Diffraction minima confusion refers to the phenomenon where diffraction patterns produced by a periodic structure may overlap and cause difficulty in identifying the individual minima.

2. How does diffraction minima confusion occur?

Diffraction minima confusion occurs when the spacing between the individual structures in a periodic pattern is similar to the wavelength of the incident light. This results in the diffraction patterns overlapping and causing confusion in identifying the individual minima.

3. What factors contribute to diffraction minima confusion?

The main factor contributing to diffraction minima confusion is the spacing of the periodic structure. Additionally, the wavelength of the incident light and the angle of incidence also play a role in determining the extent of diffraction minima confusion.

4. How can diffraction minima confusion be minimized?

Diffraction minima confusion can be minimized by altering the spacing of the periodic structure, changing the wavelength of the incident light, or adjusting the angle of incidence. Additionally, using a narrower wavelength range or a smaller incident beam can also help reduce diffraction minima confusion.

5. Why is it important to understand diffraction minima confusion?

Understanding diffraction minima confusion is important in various areas of science and engineering, such as optics, crystallography, and material science. It allows for accurate analysis and interpretation of diffraction patterns, which can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of materials.