Diffraction integral : incident field is FT?

In summary, diffraction theory expresses integrals using the field ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega)##. When considering Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction for an incident field which is a plane wave, we say the field ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega)=1## in all space. But this isn't the FT of a plane wave. There is a delta function missing. My confusion is mainly that... Articles online consider the incident field (the time FT) as all the terms in ##u(\mathbf{r},t)## except ##e^{-i\omega_o t}##.
davidbenari
Diffraction theory is formulated with the time-frequency Fourier Transform of the electric field. Namely, if our field is ##u(\mathbf{r},t)## then diffraction theory expresses integrals using the field ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega)##.

When we consider Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction for an incident field which is a plane wave, we say the field ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega)=1## in all space.

But this isn't the FT of a plane wave. There is a delta function missing.

My confusion is mainly that... Articles online consider the incident field (the time FT) as all the terms in ##u(\mathbf{r},t)## except ##e^{-i\omega_o t}##.

I have ignored many equations here, since I don't think it is necessary to type in the relevant integrals. If you think this should be necessary tell me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I don't think that's correct- in time-independent scattering, the far-field diffraction pattern is the *spatial* Fourier transform of the incident field: V(r) -> V(u), where u is the spatial frequency coordinate. And the incident field is not a constant, it's set by the aperture and may have a (complex) phase term.

Does this help?

I don't agree with you because:

1. The incident field is a constant, what sets the aperture is the so-called transmittance function. For instance, a plane wave hitting a square aperture is given by

##u_o=1## in all space, and ##t(x,y)=rect(x/w)rect(y/w)## where ##t## is your transmittance function, and rect functions are some sort of step function that give the relevant geometry.

2. What you get out of diffraction integrals is a position function. The incident field has to be in position as well since diffraction integrals come out of a convolution and not a Fourier transform from frequency to space (this will look like a FT in the far-field because you end up ignoring a quadratic phase factor).

To see what I mean http://web.ift.uib.no/AMOS/PHYS261/phys261_Part_II.pdf

davidbenari said:
I don't agree with you because:
<snip>
To see what I mean http://web.ift.uib.no/AMOS/PHYS261/phys261_Part_II.pdf

That reference is fine; if you read it you would see your OP is inconsistent. See, for example, section 0.1.1 and 0.1.2. 0.2.4 covers a circular aperture. And, as a point of fact, the far-field diffraction pattern is specified in terms of angle, not position (the so-called angular frequency spectrum).

Hmm I don't see why it is inconsistent, since in that reference their analysis is from a certain point onwards always with ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega)## (the time FT of the field).

If I recall correctly the circular aperture is specified in terms of angle because of the approximation ##r/z\approx \theta ##. Also the so-called angular spectrum is really a function of spatial frequencies like in 0.1.9.

What am I seeing wrong here?

davidbenari said:
we say the field u(r,ω)=1u(r,ω)=1u(\mathbf{r},\omega)=1 in all space.
If ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega)## is known to be a monochromatic plane wave of frequency ##\omega_0## and wave vector ##\mathbf{k}_0=\frac{\omega_0}{c}\hat{k}_0##, then I will write it as ##u(\mathbf{r},\omega) = e^{i\mathbf{k}_0\cdot\mathbf{r}} \delta(\omega-\omega_0)##.

Last edited:
Likes davidbenari
I agree with Andy Resnick. All the action for a monochromatic field u(r) is in the spatial transform U(k).

marcusl said:
I agree with Andy Resnick. All the action for a monochromatic field u(r) is in the spatial transform U(k).
The expressions of the field in whatever planes are equivalent. One can also analyze the propagation of light beam in position plane ##\mathbf{r}##, but one has to deal with some convolution integrals. However, it's indeed true that working in the spatial frequency-frequency plane ##(\mathbf{k},\omega)## is easier and more direct because working with the transfer functions, which are defined in the spatial frequency-frequency plane, is easier. When written in the spatial frequency-frequency plane, a plane wave of frequency ##\omega_0## and wave vector ##\mathbf{k}_0=\frac{\omega_0}{c}\hat{k}_0## becomes ##u(\mathbf{k},\omega) = \delta(\mathbf{k}-\mathbf{k}_0) \delta(\omega-\omega_0)##.

Blue leaf: I agree with you, however my doubt was precisely why these delta functions are ignored in all sources that demonstrate diffraction by the well-known apertures that are available to analytical study: the circular aperture, rectangular aperture etc.

Is this something we omit since we know how to arrive at the ##u(\mathbf{r},t)## in a simple way?

davidbenari said:
Blue leaf: I agree with you, however my doubt was precisely why these delta functions are ignored in most online resources considering the well-known apertures that are available to analytical study: the circular aperture rectangular, aperture etc.

Is this something we omit since we know how to arrive at the ##u(\mathbf{r},t)## in a simple way?
That depends on which plane those resources derive their propagation analysis. Do they specifically mention which plane is it? If not, you can also figure it out from the notation used to write the field. For example, if the argument of the field function is like ##(x,y,z,\omega)##, then this field must be written in the position-frequency plane. However, if they say that they are working with a plane wave, I would presume that a value of unity must represent the amplitude of the field in position-time plane, ##u(\mathbf{r},t) = e^{i(\mathbf{k}_0\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega_0 t)}##.

Related to Diffraction integral : incident field is FT?

What is a diffraction integral?

A diffraction integral is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of waves as they pass through an aperture or around an obstacle. It takes into account the incident field, which is the initial wave, and the diffracted field, which is the wave that results from the diffraction process. The integral is often used in optics and acoustics to understand how waves interact with objects.

What does it mean for the incident field to be Fourier transformed?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that breaks down a signal into its individual frequencies. In the context of a diffraction integral, this means that the incident field is being described in terms of its frequency components, rather than its spatial components. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the incident field and its interactions with the diffracting object.

How is the diffraction integral related to the Fresnel and Fraunhofer approximations?

The diffraction integral is a general equation that can be used to describe diffraction in all cases. However, in certain situations, such as when the diffracting object is small compared to the distance from the source, the integral can be simplified using the Fresnel or Fraunhofer approximations. These approximations make the calculations easier, but they may not be accurate in all cases.

What is the difference between near-field and far-field diffraction?

Near-field diffraction refers to the behavior of waves as they pass through or around an object when they are close to the object. In this case, the diffracted field is affected by the details of the object, and the diffraction integral must be used. In contrast, far-field diffraction refers to the behavior of waves at a distance from the object, where the diffracted field is not affected by the details of the object. In this case, the Fresnel or Fraunhofer approximations may be used instead of the diffraction integral.

What is the practical application of understanding diffraction integrals?

Understanding diffraction integrals is important in many fields, including optics, acoustics, and radio frequency engineering. It allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of waves as they interact with objects, which is crucial in designing and optimizing various devices such as antennas, lenses, and microscopes. It also has applications in medical imaging, astronomy, and telecommunications.