Diffraction Grating and Intensity

In summary, the maximum intensity for a diffraction grating of N slits at the first principal maximum is N^2 times bigger than for a single slit. This can be proven using the trigonometric identity \frac{\sin(Nx)}{\sin(x)}=\frac{Nx\sin(Nx)}{Nx\sin(x)}=\frac{\sin(Nx)}{Nx} N \frac{x}{\sin(x)}, where x is the angle of diffraction.
silence98

Homework Statement

Show that the maximum intensity for a diffraction grating of N slits at the first principal maximum is N^2 times bigger than for a single slit.

Homework Equations

I=I(0)[sin^2(NB)/sin^2(B)] where B is ([tex]\pi[/tex]dsin[tex]\phi[/tex])/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel i understand the concepts here but this question has stumped me. I've scoured the internet, read through the relevant chapters in my two textbooks and still i can't see how this would be proven. It is just stated in my lecture notes, is it that intuitive?

I really would be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The maximum is at Φ=0. You have to start with the limit sin(x)/x when x tends to 0. Find the limit of sin(Nx)/sin(x). Use that sin(Nx)/sin(x)=[sin(Nx)/Nx] N [x/sin(x)].

ehild

ehild said:
The maximum is at Φ=0. You have to start with the limit sin(x)/x when x tends to 0. Find the limit of sin(Nx)/sin(x). Use that sin(Nx)/sin(x)=[sin(Nx)/Nx] N [x/sin(x)].

ehild

Thanks for the help, but i don't really understand the bolded part. I haven't seen that trig identity before and i can't see how it would be found.

It is just multiplying both the numerator and the denominator with the same quantity and rearranging.

[tex]\frac{\sin(Nx)}{\sin(x)}=\frac{Nx\sin(Nx)}{Nx\sin(x)}=\frac{\sin(Nx)}{Nx} N \frac{x}{\sin(x)}[/tex]

ehild

ehild said:
It is just multiplying both the numerator and the denominator with the same quantity and rearranging.

[tex]\frac{\sin(Nx)}{\sin(x)}=\frac{Nx\sin(Nx)}{Nx\sin(x)}=\frac{\sin(Nx)}{Nx} N \frac{x}{\sin(x)}[/tex]

ehild

Thankyou, and i apologise for my stupidity!

I've got it now.

Last edited:

Related to Diffraction Grating and Intensity

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of a large number of evenly spaced parallel lines or grooves. It is used to separate light into its component colors by causing constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does a diffraction grating affect light intensity?

A diffraction grating affects light intensity by splitting the incoming light into multiple beams that interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of bright and dark spots, known as interference fringes, where the light intensity is increased or decreased.

3. What factors affect the intensity of diffraction patterns?

The intensity of diffraction patterns is affected by the wavelength of the incoming light, the spacing of the grating lines, and the angle of incidence of the light. Changes in any of these factors can alter the interference pattern and thus affect the intensity of the diffracted light.

4. How does the number of slits in a diffraction grating affect the intensity of the diffracted light?

The number of slits in a diffraction grating directly affects the intensity of the diffracted light. As the number of slits increases, the number of interference fringes also increases, resulting in a brighter overall intensity of the diffracted light.

5. How is the intensity of a diffraction grating pattern measured?

The intensity of a diffraction grating pattern can be measured with a detector, such as a photodiode or a CCD camera. The detector records the intensity of the light at different points on the interference pattern, which can then be plotted to show the overall intensity profile of the diffraction grating.