Diffraction grating and Dirac comb

In summary: The linear distance between the points.You can measure the linear distance between the points on the diffraction pattern to figure out what ##a## is.
SarahLou

Homework Statement

I need to measure (with the ruler) the width the depicted sinc envelope and the period of the depicted Dirac comb light pattern.

And from the above I need to calculate the width of one slit a (i.e. aperture width) of the grating, and the period of the grating dx (i.e. distance between each slit). I have no idea where to start :(
diffraction.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suck at physics and spent few hours reading everything I could find on the internet on convolution, diffraction and Fourier theorem. I still have no clue what I need to measure!

Physics news on Phys.org
What quantities can you measure from the diffraction pattern?

distance between each point? I really don't know :/

I forgot to mention the distance between the slit and the points on the paper was 1000mm and the wavelength was 633nm. I tried to calculate width of one slit a = 9Lλ/0.31 = 9(1000)0.000633/0.31= 18.3mm

Which of the six figures does the photo of the diffraction pattern correspond to?

SarahLou said:
I forgot to mention the distance between the slit and the points on the paper was 1000mm and the wavelength was 633nm. I tried to calculate width of one slit a = 9Lλ/0.31 = 9(1000)0.000633/0.31= 18.3mm
You mention two distances. Which one was 1000 mm? Do you realize that 1000 mm is 1 meter? I doubt the slits or the points on the paper were 1 meter apart.

vela said:
You mention two distances. Which one was 1000 mm? Do you realize that 1000 mm is 1 meter? I doubt the slits or the points on the paper were 1 meter apart.

There was 1 metre distance between the slit frame and the photographic paper that recorded the diffraction. 1 metre allowed the points to be perfectly focused. Six figure distraction is corresponding to the last image on the right I think, and I'm guessing the middle one above it corresponds to the slits and the distance between them?

Ah, okay, I totally misread what you wrote. I took it to mean the distance between the points was 1 m or the distance between the slits was 1 m whereas you meant the distance from the slits to the screen is 1 m.

You're right that the diffraction pattern corresponds to the figure on the bottom right, so by measuring the distance between the points, you can get a measure of what ##\delta \omega## is. Since ##\delta x## and ##\delta \omega## are related, you can, in principle, be able to figure out what ##\delta x## is. Note, however, that you can't actually measure what ##\delta \omega## is with the ruler; you're only getting a quantity that's proportional to ##\delta \omega##. If you don't see why that's the case, consider the units of ##\delta \omega##. So part of your task is to figure out how ##\delta \omega## is related to the linear distance between the points on the screen.

Do you see what you would measure on the diffraction pattern to figure out what ##a## is?

Related to Diffraction grating and Dirac comb

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical device that consists of a large number of equally spaced parallel slits or grooves on a surface. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, producing a spectrum.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating works by causing light to diffract or bend as it passes through the slits or grooves. This results in constructive and destructive interference, producing a pattern of bright and dark fringes that correspond to different wavelengths of light.

3. What is a Dirac comb?

A Dirac comb is a mathematical function that consists of a series of delta functions, spaced at equal intervals. It is used to model the behavior of a diffraction grating, with each delta function representing a slit or groove.

4. What is the difference between a diffraction grating and a prism?

Both a diffraction grating and a prism are used to disperse light into its component wavelengths. However, a diffraction grating uses diffraction to achieve this, while a prism uses refraction. Additionally, a diffraction grating produces a more precise and detailed spectrum compared to a prism.

5. What are the applications of diffraction gratings and Dirac combs?

Diffraction gratings and Dirac combs have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as spectroscopy, telecommunications, and laser technology. They are also used in the production of holograms and in optical instruments such as spectrometers and monochromators.