Diffraction and gravitational lensing

In summary, when studying diffraction, we focus on the path of the light and its source. However, when studying gravitational lensing, we focus on how gravity affects the light and where it came from. In an experiment, it was observed that the light does not always come from the same direction when obscured. This is also mentioned in Feynman's books.
Dylanden
Hello.

And i have a dumb question about light.
When the diffraction is studied, we look at where the light is coming. But not where the light comes from.
When the gravitational deviation is studied, we look at where the light comes from, but not where the light comes.

What do you think?

thank you very much

Dylan

Science news on Phys.org
When we're studying diffraction, we know where the light source is because we put it there when we set up the experiment. So we're trying to see how diffraction affects the path of the light.

When we're studying gravitational lensing we know how the light is affected by gravity and we're trying to figure out where it came from.

Hello

Thank you for your answer.
But i have made a little expermentation. In a old raiway tunnel.
Just use ma camera and a small light
And at half distance, slowly hide, obscure the light by the side with an opaque screen. It seems to me that the light does not always come from the same direction on the video.
But i am not sure

Dylan

Hello

And you can have a look in the Feynman books, there is light that come in the geometric shadow.
I think.

Dylan

Related to Diffraction and gravitational lensing

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading out of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle.

2. How does diffraction relate to gravitational lensing?

Diffraction plays a key role in gravitational lensing, where the gravitational pull of massive objects can bend and distort the path of light, causing it to diffract and create distorted images of distant objects.

3. What causes gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is caused by the curvature of spacetime, which is a result of the presence of massive objects such as galaxies or clusters of galaxies.

4. Can diffraction and gravitational lensing be observed on a small scale?

Yes, both phenomena can be observed on a small scale, such as in laboratory experiments with light passing through small openings or around small objects. However, gravitational lensing is usually observed on a much larger scale in the universe.

5. How does diffraction and gravitational lensing impact our understanding of the universe?

Both diffraction and gravitational lensing provide valuable insights into the nature of light and the structure of the universe. They have helped scientists study and map distant objects, such as galaxies and black holes, and have contributed to our understanding of the fundamental principles of physics.