Diffraction, Amplitude and Phase

In summary: So, I wanted to check myself, but didn't find any resource for this. All the resources are, as usual, talk about intensity distribution in the Fourier domain, but not phase. I'll give an example: Lets say I have a mask with 1 small hole. The Fourier transform will give me a SINC. So the amplitude is SINC function, but what a phase is? I need both amplitude and phase in order to FFT again and reconstruct the initial image. Can someone provide me a link or suggest a book, where I can view amplitude and phase after FFT for different masks? Like:One slit: Amplitude - Sinc(...), Phase
LmdL
Hi,
Today I was told that phase and amplitude on the screen in a far field of a mask consisting of hole are more or less the same. So, I wanted to check myself, but didn't find any resource for this. All the resources are, as usual, talk about intensity distribution in the Fourier domain, but not phase.
I'll give an example:
Lets say I have a mask with 1 small hole. The Fourier transform will give me a SINC. So the amplitude is SINC function, but what a phase is? I need both amplitude and phase in order to FFT again and reconstruct the initial image.
Can someone provide me a link or suggest a book, where I can view amplitude and phase after FFT for different masks? Like:
One slit: Amplitude - Sinc(...), Phase - ...
Two slits: Amplitude - Sinc(...)*Cos(...), Phase - ...
Circular aperture: Amplitude - Jinc(...), Phase - ...

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
The FFT of a centered rectangular slit is real because the slit describes an even function. Therefore, the phase of the FFT is either 0 or ##\pi## - it's zero at points where the sinc function is positive, and ##\pi## where the sinc drops below zero.

Likes LmdL and Gajan1234
So, for slit amplitude and phase are like this:
ikr4DwE.jpg

Is there any book that lists such amplitude+phase graphs for different masks?

LmdL said:
Is there any book that lists such amplitude+phase graphs for different masks?
May be there are a few out there, but I have never seen myself. If you are familiar with matlab, I suggest that you use this software because you can try whatever function you want.

Ok, thanks a lot!

LmdL said:
Hi,
Today I was told that phase and amplitude on the screen in a far field of a mask consisting of hole are more or less the same.

It depends- if your mask is amplitude only, then as blue_leaf77 notes, the imaginary component of the Fourier Transform is trivial. However, if your mask has a phase component (constant or otherwise), the amplitude and phase of the far-field diffraction will vary (the intensity pattern may or may not change). Goodman's book "Introduction to Fourier Optics" works out the cases of an amplitude grating and a phase grating to show this.

Likes blue_leaf77

Related to Diffraction, Amplitude and Phase

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through narrow openings. It is a phenomenon that can be observed with all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves.

2. How does amplitude affect diffraction?

The amplitude of a wave does not directly affect the amount of diffraction. However, a larger amplitude can result in a more noticeable diffraction pattern due to the wave's increased energy and intensity.

3. What is the relationship between diffraction and wavelength?

The amount of diffraction observed is directly proportional to the wavelength of the wave. This means that longer wavelengths, such as radio waves, will diffract more than shorter wavelengths, such as visible light.

4. How does phase play a role in diffraction?

Phase refers to the position of a wave cycle at a given point in time. In diffraction, the phase of the wave can affect the interference pattern formed by the diffracted waves, resulting in constructive or destructive interference.

5. What are some real-life applications of diffraction, amplitude, and phase?

Diffraction, amplitude, and phase have various applications in different fields. For example, in optics, diffraction is used in the production of holograms and in telescopes to improve resolution. In the field of acoustics, diffraction is utilized in the design of concert halls and speaker systems. In telecommunications, amplitude and phase play a crucial role in signal transmission and modulation.