Difficulty working with SI and derived SI conversions

In summary, The conversation discusses difficulties with understanding SI and derived units in the context of fluid resistance equations. The conversation also brings up the question of whether it is necessary to try to visualize derived units or if they should just be treated as algebraic symbols. The conversation includes examples of the units for constants in the equations and mentions the use of units to check for homogeneity.
mpatryluk
The physics textbook I'm working with doesn't seem to give me the required background for working with and understanding SI and derived units. Here is an example of something i am struggling with:

In studying fluid resistance, the book starts by displaying 2 equations.

1 is for fluid resistance when the object is at low speed and is f = kv (5.7)
The other is for when the object is at high speed and is f = Dv^2 (5.8)

In this case with the constants k and D my book has this to say:

You should verify that the units of the constant k in Eq. (5.7) are N x s/m or kg/s and that the units of the constant D in Eq. (5.8) are N x s^2/m^2 or kg/m

So the problem I'm having is that i see one of the two SI derived units (in bold) and i try to make sense of it intuitively. Like how a velocity = m/s, i can clearly imagine that it is the amount of metres traveled in a given length of time. But I have no idea where to start for intuition for these.

My thought process
For N x s/m, I read that as "Newton seconds per metre". So fiirstly, Newton-seconds: that's the amount of seconds for which a Newton force is applied? And then i try to conceptualize dividing that along a metre and i can't conceptualize it. Is it the quantity of Newton-seconds that "pass" in the travel of an object through one metre of fluid?
Edit: I thought i read that it was called dynamic viscosity, but on second inspection that would be m^2

Anyway, my general issue as evidenced above is my lack of certainty about how i should treat derived units: whether i should try to visualize them intuitively or what. Also which resources i could use to gain practice and understanding with working with these units.

Physics news on Phys.org
mpatryluk said:
i should try to visualize them intuitively or what.
You can try, but it's not important. The units of constants are defined to make the equations work dimensionally.

- k tells you how many Newtons force increase per 1m/s velocity increase

- D tells you how many Newtons force increase per 1m^2/s^2 squared velocity increase (per area of a square with v as side length)

Sorry if this seems like a patronising remark, but what a well-posed question, and what an excellent answer!

I think that looking for a the conceptual significance of units is good, but you've got to know when to give up and just treat a unit as a product of algebraic symbols! An example would be the unit of G in Newton's law of gravitation:
[tex]|\textbf F| = \frac{GMm}{r^2}.[/tex]
If we leave the unit as [itex]\text{N} \ \text{m}^{2} \ \text{kg}^{-2}[/itex] it retains a manifest meaning. But if we express it in SI base units as [itex]\text{kg}^{-1} \ \text{m}{^3} \ \text{s}^{-2}[/itex] it's just a product of symbols. Still useful for checking homogeneity of units, of course.

Another nice example is [itex]\mu_0[/itex]. Its SI units are N A-2. You have to think about why m (metre) doesn't appear in the unit. I sometimes provocatively pronounce the unit "Newton per square ampère", but I suspect that's not relevant.

Last edited:

Related to Difficulty working with SI and derived SI conversions

1. What is SI and why is it important for scientific work?

SI, or the International System of Units, is a standardized system of measurement used in scientific research and communication. It is important because it allows for consistent and accurate measurements across different fields of science, and ensures that data can be easily understood and reproduced by others.

2. What are some common difficulties scientists face when working with SI units?

Some common difficulties include converting between units, remembering the prefixes and their meanings, and dealing with very large or very small numbers. Additionally, some scientists may struggle with converting between SI and non-SI units, such as converting from inches to meters.

3. How can I improve my ability to work with SI units and conversions?

Practice and familiarity are key to improving your skills with SI units. Make sure to review and memorize the prefixes and their meanings, as well as common conversion factors. Utilizing online conversion tools or creating your own reference sheet can also be helpful.

4. What are some tips for avoiding errors when working with SI units?

One tip is to always double check your conversions and calculations, especially when dealing with very large or very small numbers. It is also important to be consistent with unit usage and to round to the appropriate number of significant figures.

5. How do I know when to use derived SI units?

Derived SI units are created by combining base units with prefixes. They are used to express measurements of quantities that are not directly related to the base units. For example, the derived unit of speed is meters per second (m/s). To determine when to use derived units, you must first understand the relationships between different quantities and how they are measured.