Difficulty in understanding a Rocket travelling in space.

In summary, the conversation discusses how a rocket changes its velocity in space. The understanding is that the rocket releases gas, which causes it to accelerate due to Newton's second law. The gas pushes on the rocket, creating a net force and accelerating it. This is similar to a person pushing off a rock on a frozen pond to start moving. The conversation also addresses the question of how the gas provides this force, with an explanation using an enclosed combustion chamber and an open end.
malty
Gold Member
Hi all,

I'm afraid this may sound rather trivial but a friend of mine brought up this topic and we're quite confused about it: how does a rocket change its velocity in space?

My understanding is that the rocket releases gas, and this gas will cause the rocket to accelerate. If you take Newton's second law, the net force of the rocket must be constant, but it is losing mass equilavent to the gas it releases. So in order for the net force to remain constant the rocket must accelerate. At least that can explain how the rocket changes it's velocity mathematically. But understanding using pure physics is where my problem occurs.

How exactly does the gas "push" the rocket forward in space? Space is a vacuum is it not, so the gas musn't be colliding with any particles, if the gas isn't colliding with anything then how does it push the rocket forward?
If I were to try my understanding of Newtons laws, the the rocket should stay the traveling at a constant velocity until an unbalanced external force acts on it. This unbalanced external force will be provided by the equal and opposite force been exerted by the gas released. I guess why question really is how does the gas provide this force?

Basically what I'm asking is action and reaction are opposite and equal but can some expalin why this so? Or have I merely delved into a matter that cannot be understood only we just know it to be the case and it apply it appropiately to situations like the rocket?

Or am I missing something in relation to how the rocket accelerates?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The rocket accelerates by expelling gas. The rocket pushes on the gas, and--from Newton's 3rd law--the gases push back on the rocket creating a net force on the rocket. Thus the rocket accelerates. The gas is also accelerating as it is pushed out into space. (It doesn't need anything to push against, other than the rocket.)

A more down to Earth example might help. Imagine you are stuck on a perfectly frictionless frozen pond and you want to start moving (accelerate) in order to reach the shore. Luckily, you happen to have a rock in your hand! You toss the rock: You push on it and it pushes back on you. Thus the force of the rock pushing back on you gives you the velocity needed to start moving towards shore. This is essentially the same idea as the rocket and its expelled gases.

A simple way of looking at it is like this:

First imagine that the combustion chamber of the rocket is completely enclosed. The fuel is ignited and the resulting hot gasses attempt to expand. As they do so, they exert outward pressure (force) on the walls of the combustion chamber. in this situation all the forces balance out and there is no net force acting on the chamber in anyone direction. The gasses push in all directions with equal force.

Now open on end of the chamber. The gases still expand and still exert force against the inside of the chamber, but the gases at the open end pass through without exerting any force against the chamber. The gasses on the opposite side of the chamber still do exert a force on to the wall of the chamber. And since this force is not balanced out by a force on the open end of the chamber, we end up with a net force acting on the chamber in this direction and the chamber (and the rocket it is attached to) accelerates in this direction.

Janus said:
A simple way of looking at it is like this:

First imagine that the combustion chamber of the rocket is completely enclosed. The fuel is ignited and the resulting hot gasses attempt to expand. As they do so, they exert outward pressure (force) on the walls of the combustion chamber. in this situation all the forces balance out and there is no net force acting on the chamber in anyone direction. The gasses push in all directions with equal force.

Now open on end of the chamber. The gases still expand and still exert force against the inside of the chamber, but the gases at the open end pass through without exerting any force against the chamber. The gasses on the opposite side of the chamber still do exert a force on to the wall of the chamber. And since this force is not balanced out by a force on the open end of the chamber, we end up with a net force acting on the chamber in this direction and the chamber (and the rocket it is attached to) accelerates in this direction.

Thanks very much Janus, I get it now:D

Oh and Doc Al thanks aswell.

Related to Difficulty in understanding a Rocket travelling in space.

1. How does a rocket travel in space?

A rocket travels in space by using the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion. The rocket's engines create thrust by expelling a high-speed stream of gas in one direction, which propels the rocket in the opposite direction. In the vacuum of space, there is no air resistance to slow the rocket down, so it can continue to accelerate until it reaches its desired speed.

2. Why is it difficult to understand a rocket traveling in space?

The concept of a rocket traveling in space can be difficult to understand because it goes against our everyday experiences and intuition. We are used to objects needing a solid surface to push against in order to move, but in the vacuum of space, there is no solid surface. Additionally, the vast distances and speeds involved in space travel can be hard to comprehend.

3. What factors affect the speed and trajectory of a rocket in space?

The speed and trajectory of a rocket in space are affected by several factors, including the amount and direction of thrust produced by the rocket's engines, the mass of the rocket and its payload, and the gravitational pull of nearby celestial bodies. These factors must be carefully calculated and controlled in order to achieve the desired path and speed for the rocket.

4. How do scientists communicate with a rocket traveling in space?

Scientists communicate with a rocket traveling in space using radio waves. The rocket is equipped with a communication system that sends and receives signals to and from a ground station. These signals are then decoded and used to send commands and receive data from the rocket, allowing scientists to monitor and control its movements.

5. What are some challenges of navigating a rocket in space?

Navigating a rocket in space presents several challenges, including the vast distances and speeds involved, the lack of gravity and air resistance, and the potential for collisions with other objects in space. Additionally, precise calculations and adjustments must be made to account for the gravitational pull of celestial bodies and to ensure that the rocket reaches its intended destination. Navigation systems and communication with the rocket must also be carefully maintained to ensure its safety and success.