Difficulties in solving following PDE

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with solving a PDE with given boundary conditions. The PDE involves U(z,t), f(t), and g(t) as well as constants a and b. The person is struggling to find a solution that fits the boundary conditions, as the general formula includes two arbitrary functions that cannot be determined without knowing the specific values of f(t) and g(t).
mohammad449
Dear Friends,
I encountered with some difficulties in solving following PDE (off course, analytically not numerically), so I would really appreciate it if you help me in this matter.
The PDE is: Uzz+f(t)*Uz=g(t)*Ut
where U(z,t), f(t), and g(t)

B.Cs and I.C are:
U(0,t)=b;
U(infinity,t)=a;
U(z,0)=a;
where a & b are constant.
I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Many Thanks,
Best Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org

It would help if you specify f(t) and g(t)

U zz+ f(y) ux = g(y)Uy
Uzz+ f(y)Ux-g(y) Uy=0
Since f(y) and g(y) are constants we can use b^2-4ac to determine the characteristics

don know whether am on right path

It isn't difficult to find a formal expression for the general solution of the PDE. (see attachment). As usual, the main difficulty is to find the solution fitting with the boundary conditions, among the infinity of solutions provided by the general formula.
As expected, the formal expression includes two arbitrary functions, namely alpha() and beta() with our natations.
The main problem will be to find what are thoses functions alpha() and beta() in order to fulfil the given boundary conditions. As far as the formula contains some functions, f(t) and g(t) which aren't specified, this is impossible. And even if they were specified, this would be probably very difficult, except by chance in some particular cases of f(t) and g(t).

Attachments

• PDE.JPG
    PDE.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 472

thanks for your consideration about this matter

Related to Difficulties in solving following PDE

1. What are the common difficulties in solving PDEs?

The most common difficulties in solving PDEs include finding appropriate boundary and initial conditions, selecting an appropriate method or technique, dealing with nonlinearity, and ensuring numerical stability.

2. How does the complexity of the PDE affect the difficulty of solving it?

The complexity of a PDE directly affects the difficulty of solving it. PDEs with more variables, higher order derivatives, and nonlinear terms are generally more difficult to solve than simpler PDEs.

3. What are some common techniques for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods.

4. How can one ensure numerical stability when solving PDEs?

Numerical stability can be ensured by using appropriate numerical methods and techniques, such as choosing a suitable grid size, time step, and boundary conditions. It is also important to check for convergence and accuracy of the solution.

5. Are there any software tools available for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are many software tools and packages available for solving PDEs. Some popular ones include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries such as SciPy and NumPy. These tools often have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for solving PDEs.