Difficult version of boatman problem

In summary, the problem involves a boatman crossing a river with a uniform flowrate and a boat of constant velocity pointing towards the opposite riverbank. The solution involves using the expressions ##v_1+\vec{v_0} \hat{v_1} = \alpha'(t) v_1## and ##v_0 \hat{\dot{\vec{v_1}}}= \alpha(t) ||\dot{\vec{v_1}}||## and trigonometry to find ##\alpha(t)##. This problem has a similar solution to one posted in a previous Physics Forums challenge in October 2016.
Estudiante Curioso
1. Problem
A boatman crosses a river of width ##D## from a point ##O##, looking to get to point ##A## on the opposite riverbank. Suppose that the flowrate is uniform with velocity of magnitude ##v_0##. The boat has a velocity ##\vec{v_1}## relative to the water, with constant magnitude, and it always points towards the point ##A##. Calculate the time that the boatman takes to ge t to point ##A##.

dWI5rhr.png

We were also hinted that it may be useful to state that ##\vec{r_A}-\vec{r_B}=\alpha(t)\vec{v_1}## (because ##\vec{v_1}## points to ##A##), and then derive that expression.

2.The attempt at a solution
First I noticed that since ##||\vec{v_1}||## is constant, its derivative must be perpendicular to it. So the plan was to project ##\vec{v_b}## (obtained from the previous derivative) over the unitary vectors ##\hat{\vec{v_1}}## and ##\hat{\dot{\vec{v_1}}}## and then I would get two expressions from the previous derivative, from where I could potentially obtain ##\alpha(t)## through integration or a differential equation. I also noted that those unitary vectors define polar coordinates with respect to ##A##.

I arrived to the expressions $$v_1+\vec{v_0} \hat{v_1} = \alpha'(t) v_1$$ and $$v_0 \hat{\dot{\vec{v_1}}}= \alpha(t) ||\dot{\vec{v_1}}||$$
where I could use trigonometry to replace the dot products on the left with ##sin(\theta)## and ##cos(\theta)## (where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec{v_0}## and ##\vec{v_1}##), but I am completely puzzled as what to do with ##||\dot{\vec{v_1}}||## and if this method actually works.

Attachments

• dWI5rhr.png
    dWI5rhr.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do believe this problem has the same mathematical solution as one in which point ## A ## moves with a constant velocity upward, and the water has no flow of current. This same problem was given by @micromass in problem 4 of his October 2016 challenge. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/micromass-big-october-challenge.887447/ Note: You subtract ## y=v_o t ## from the y coordinate of the solution of the challenge problem. The problem gets solved, (I solved it), around posts 61-68 of the discussion. @Chestermiller also supplied portions of the solution.## \\ ## Hopefully, I'm not breaking the Physics Forums rules by supplying the solution. This is really a non-trivial problem, and in general, neither the student or the homework helper would be expected to solve this problem routinely.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking at the solution of the problem you posted, but I'm having a hard time understanding it. I'll keep trying.
Edit: I hadn't seen posts after 60, now it's much more clear.

Likes Charles Link
Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Difficult version of boatman problem

1. What is the "Difficult version of boatman problem"?

The "Difficult version of boatman problem" is a mathematical puzzle that involves a boatman who needs to transport a wolf, a goat, and a cabbage across a river using a boat that can only hold one item at a time. The challenge is to move all three items to the other side of the river without leaving the wolf alone with the goat or the goat alone with the cabbage.

2. How is this version different from the traditional boatman problem?

In the traditional boatman problem, the boatman can only transport the wolf, goat, and cabbage one at a time without any restrictions. In the difficult version, the boatman must follow the rule of not leaving the wolf alone with the goat or the goat alone with the cabbage, making it more challenging to solve.

3. What is the solution to the "Difficult version of boatman problem"?

The solution to the "Difficult version of boatman problem" is to first transport the goat to the other side, then go back and transport the cabbage. Next, take the goat back to the original side and transport the wolf to the other side. Finally, go back and get the goat again and bring it to the other side. This solution ensures that the wolf and goat are never left alone, and the cabbage is never left alone with the goat.

4. Are there variations of this problem?

Yes, there are many variations of this problem, including different numbers and types of items, different rules for transporting the items, and different modes of transportation. Some variations also add an additional challenge of a time limit or a limited number of trips across the river.

5. What is the significance of the "Difficult version of boatman problem"?

The "Difficult version of boatman problem" is a popular puzzle that has been used in various fields, including computer science, game theory, and artificial intelligence, to demonstrate problem-solving skills and logical thinking. It also highlights the importance of considering constraints and restrictions when solving complex problems.