Difficult rational expressions thinking question

In summary, a rational expression is an algebraic expression that represents a ratio of two polynomials in the form of a fraction. To simplify a difficult rational expression, you can factor the numerator and denominator, cancel out common factors, simplify remaining terms, and check for excluded values. Excluded values occur when the denominator is equal to zero. To add or subtract rational expressions, a common denominator must be found and the resulting expression is simplified. Rational expressions have various real-life applications, such as calculating rates, proportions, and solving mixture problems in fields like economics, engineering, and physics.
AvocadosNumber

Homework Statement

Find the Values of B and C given this:
[tex]
\frac{(3x-18)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}= \frac{B}{2x+1} + \frac{C}{7x-3}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The equation given:[tex]
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
[tex]
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{(3x-18)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}= \frac{B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}
[/tex]
[tex]
3x-18=B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)
[/tex]
At this point I'm stuck and I think something I did was wrong.
I'd appreciate any assistance that could be provided!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AvocadosNumber said:

Homework Statement

Find the Values of B and C given this:
[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The equation given:[tex]
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
[tex]
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{(3x-18)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}= \frac{B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}
[/tex]
[tex]
3x-18=B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)
[/tex]
At this point I'm stuck and I think something I did was wrong.
I'd appreciate any assistance that could be provided!
If your last equation
[itex]
3x-18=B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)
[/itex]​
is true for all values of x, then the initial rational equation
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{(3x-18)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}= \frac{B}{2x+1} + \frac{C}{7x-3}
[/itex]​
will be true for all x except 3/7 and -1/2 .

There are at least a couple of ways to solve the identity
[itex]
3x-18=B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)
[/itex]​
for B & C.

One is to pick a couple of values for x, which will give you two equations in the two unknowns, B & C. One such value is x = -1/2 .

Another method is to equate the coefficient of x on the left with the coefficient of x on the right; also equate the constant term on the left with the constant term on the right.

Hi, Thank You so much for your response. I was just wondering if you could clarify what you meant by this:
SammyS said:
Another method is to equate the coefficient of x on the left with the coefficient of x on the right; also equate the constant term on the left with the constant term on the right.

I apologize my math vocab is weak.

He means that you can expand 3x−18=B(2x+1)+C(7x−3) as 3x-18=2Bx+B+7Cx-3C. Cleaning this up a bit, we get 3x-18=(2B+7C)x+(B-3C). Two polynomials are equal only if their corresponding coefficients are equal, we get 3x=2B+7C and -18=B-3C. This is a system of equations which you should be able to sove.

HS-Scientist said:
we get 3x=2B+7C and -18=B-3C. This is a system of equations which you should be able to solve.

But don't I have 3 variables still?

I am sorry, there should be no x there. If 3x=(2B+7C)x, then 3=2B+7C. I apologize for not using latex, I am just beginning to learn as I am new to these forums.

AvocadosNumber said:
Hi, Thank You so much for your response. I was just wondering if you could clarify what you meant by this:

I apologize my math vocab is weak.

If you expand the right side & collect terms, you get
[itex]\displaystyle (2B+7C)x+(B-3C)\,,\ [/itex] right?​

So, the coefficient of x on the left, which is 3 must equal the coefficient of x on the right, which is 2B+7C . Similarly, the constant term on the left must equal the constant term on the right.

These must be equal because, the equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ 3x-18=B(2x+1)+C(7x-3)\ [/itex] is true for all possible values of x, thus this equation is an identity.

Hi! Thank you both for responding.

I'm with you guys so far until here:
[itex]3x−18=(2B+7C)x+(B−3C){}[/itex]

I don't quite understand why [itex]3x[/itex] must only equal [itex](2B+7C)x[/itex].

After I try and solve this is what I get. Is everything I did okay because I don't know and method of verifying if this is right (not from a textbook)?

[itex]-18=B-3C[/itex]
[itex]B=-18+3C[/itex]

[itex]3x=(2B+7C)x[/itex]
[itex]3=2B+7C[/itex]
sub in [itex]B=-18+3C[/itex]
[itex]3=2(-18+3C)+7C[/itex]
[itex]3=-36+6C+7C[/itex]
[itex]39=13C[/itex]
[itex]C=3[/itex]

[itex]B=-18+3C[/itex]
[itex]B=-18+3(3)[/itex]
[itex]B=-18+9[/itex]
[itex]B=-9[/itex]

∴B=-9 and C=3

AvocadosNumber said:
Hi! Thank you both for responding.

I'm with you guys so far until here:
[itex]3x−18=(2B+7C)x+(B−3C){}[/itex]

I don't quite understand why [itex]3x[/itex] must only equal [itex](2B+7C)x[/itex].

After I try and solve this is what I get. Is everything I did okay because I don't know and method of verifying if this is right (not from a textbook)?

[itex]-18=B-3C[/itex]
[itex]B=-18+3C[/itex]

[itex]3x=(2B+7C)x[/itex]
[itex]3=2B+7C[/itex]
sub in [itex]B=-18+3C[/itex]
[itex]3=2(-18+3C)+7C[/itex]
[itex]3=-36+6C+7C[/itex]
[itex]39=13C[/itex]
[itex]C=3[/itex]

[itex]B=-18+3C[/itex]
[itex]B=-18+3(3)[/itex]
[itex]B=-18+9[/itex]
[itex]B=-9[/itex]

∴B=-9 and C=3

Yes, you solved it right. But [tex]\frac{(3x-18)}{(2x+1)(7x-3)}= \frac{B}{2x+1} + \frac{C}{7x-3}[/tex] actually leads to the equation [tex]3x-18=B(7x-3)+C(2x+1)[/tex] Which is not what you originally posted. The B and C are backwards.

As to your first question Ax+B=Cx+D for all values of x means A=C and B=D. Can you show that?

Dick said:
Ax+B=Cx+D for all values of x means A=C and B=D.

Ah, I plugged in the values of B and C and the expressions on both sides were equal. And that quote clarified quite a lot.

Thank you so much to all of you for the help!

Dick said:
.., actually leads to the equation [tex]3x-18=B(7x-3)+C(2x+1)[/tex] Which is not what you originally posted. The B and C are backwards.
Sorry. I didn't check the details.

Related to Difficult rational expressions thinking question

What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is an algebraic expression that represents a ratio of two polynomials. It can be written in the form of a fraction, where the numerator and denominator are both polynomials.

How do you simplify a difficult rational expression?

To simplify a difficult rational expression, you can use the following steps:1. Factor the numerator and denominator2. Cancel out any common factors3. Simplify any remaining terms4. Check for any excluded values (values that would make the expression undefined).

What are excluded values in a rational expression?

Excluded values, also known as restrictions, are values that would make the rational expression undefined. They occur when the denominator of the expression is equal to zero. To find excluded values, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for the variable.

How do you add or subtract rational expressions?

To add or subtract rational expressions, you must first find a common denominator. To do this, factor each denominator and identify the common factors. Then, create equivalent fractions with the common denominator and perform the addition or subtraction on the numerators. Finally, simplify the resulting expression.

What are some real-life applications of rational expressions?

Rational expressions can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating average rates, determining proportions, and solving mixture problems. They are also commonly used in economics, engineering, and physics to model real-world scenarios.