Difficult Problems in Classical Mechanics

In summary, my professor for classical mechanics has asked that we find some difficult problems in classical and solve them. My first thought was to look through my book for hard problems. However, we are using a free PDF that is rather lackluster when it comes to homework problems. Almost all of the questions are trivial, and amount to solving for the equations of motion once I have set up the Hamiltonian. I have a copy of VI Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics on hand. Though I haven't had too much time to peruse it for interesting problems, it appears to be hands-off and not provide many problems. Does anyone have any advice where I can find interesting and sufficiently difficult problems in classical to solve? If anyone has any problems
SpaceWalrus
My professor for classical mechanics has asked that we find some difficult problems in classical and solve them. My first thought was to look through my book for hard problems. However, we are using a free PDF that is rather lackluster when it comes to homework problems. Almost all of the questions are trivial, and amount to solving for the equations of motion once I have set up the Hamiltonian. I have a copy of VI Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics on hand. Though I haven't had too much time to peruse it for interesting problems, it appears to be hands-off and not provide many problems.

I currently know the basics of Hamiltonian's and anything below that. Does anyone have any advice where I can find interesting and sufficiently difficult problems in classical to solve? If anyone has any problems of their own, I would love to hear those too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in your school library. Both Goldstein's and Landau's texts on classical mechanics will have challenging problems.

Here is a very challenging problem using calculus of variations. A frictionless bead slides on a smooth stiff wire from a fixed upper point x1, y1 to a fixed lower point x2, y2; y2 < y1, x2 ≠ x1 under gravitational force. Find the shape of the curve in the wire such that the transit time is a minimum.

Last edited:
David Morin's Classical Mechanics book has a great wealth of interesting and challenging problems.

Bob S said:
Here is a very challenging problem using calculus of variations. A frictionless bead slides on a smooth stiff wire from a fixed upper point x1, y1 to a fixed lower point x2, y2; y2 < y1, x2 ≠ x1 under gravitational force. Find the shape of the curve in the wire such that the transit time is a minimum.
Historically, of course, the brachistochrone problem was very challenging. But nowadays, isn't it a trivial calculus of variations exercise?

Related to Difficult Problems in Classical Mechanics

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and how they interact with each other under the influence of forces. It is based on Isaac Newton's laws of motion and the concept of conservation of energy.

2. What are some examples of difficult problems in classical mechanics?

Some examples of difficult problems in classical mechanics include the n-body problem, the chaotic motion of the double pendulum, and the three-body problem. These problems involve complex interactions between multiple objects and can be challenging to solve analytically.

3. How do scientists approach difficult problems in classical mechanics?

Scientists use mathematical tools such as calculus, differential equations, and computer simulations to analyze and solve difficult problems in classical mechanics. They also rely on experimental data and observations to test and validate their solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many real-world applications, including the design of bridges and buildings, the study of planetary motion, and the development of technologies such as cars, airplanes, and rockets. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemistry and materials science.

5. Are there any unresolved problems in classical mechanics?

Yes, there are still some unsolved problems in classical mechanics, such as the motion of fluids, the behavior of granular materials, and the interactions between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics. These problems continue to be areas of active research and exploration in the scientific community.