Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem

In summary: The equation to solve for the torque is: torque (Nm) = –898.6N + 698.1N = 1308.9NIn summary, the person stands on a ladder with a wall that is frictionless and exerts a normal force of f3 only. The torque about the contact point at the bottom of the ladder is 1308.9N.
whoopie88
Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem!

Homework Statement

An 85 kg person stands on a uniform 6.6 kg ladder that is 3.9 m long, as shown. The floor is rough; hence it exerts both a normal force, f1, and a frictional force, f2, on the ladder. The wall, on the other hand, is frictionless; it exerts only a normal force, f3. Using the dimensions in the figure, find the magnitudes of f1, f2, and f3.

Homework Equations

All forces and torque formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found f1 - 898.6 N. I can't find f2 and f3, which I think are supposed to be equal. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get an answer. Here's my work:

16hok91.jpg

Help please? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried applying f = μN, where f is the frictional force and N is the normal force? Where you given the coefficient of friction, μ?

No; I wasn't given the coefficient of friction. My instructor, for all of our problems relating to torque, has made it clear that we do not need to apply f = μN.

Alright. At the end of your work it looks like you wrote "f3 = 698.1N". Is this not what you were looking for?

That is what I was looking for, but that's an incorrect answer.

Got it. Just one last question; how far up (or down) the ladder does the problem say the man is standing?

That information is not given.

Here is the diagram that goes along with the problem:

11-3ae.gif

Great. It is hard to see your work in the picture, but try solving for the torque around the top of the ladder. Show me the equation you set up. I got to a different answer.

Find the torque (moment) about the contact point at the bottom of the ladder. It doesn't involve f1 or f2 and it doesn't depend
upon the person's distance up the ladder.

Related to Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem

1. What is the "Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem"?

The "Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem" is a physics problem that involves determining the forces acting on a ladder leaning against a wall and the torque (rotational force) that these forces create.

2. What makes this problem difficult?

This problem is considered difficult because it involves multiple forces acting on a system and requires the use of complex equations and principles of physics, such as torque and equilibrium, to solve.

3. How do you solve the "Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem"?

To solve this problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram showing all the forces acting on the ladder. Then, you can use the principles of equilibrium and torque to set up and solve equations that will determine the unknown forces and torque.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving this problem?

Some common mistakes when solving this problem include not considering all the forces acting on the ladder, not properly setting up the equations for equilibrium and torque, and not correctly interpreting the direction of forces or torque.

5. What are the real-life applications of the "Difficult Ladder Against Wall Torque Problem"?

This problem has practical applications in engineering and construction, as it can help determine the stability and safety of structures such as ladders, scaffolding, and buildings. It also has applications in biomechanics, as it can be used to analyze the forces and torque on the human body during activities such as climbing or lifting.