Difficult Kinematic Range Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum speed of a ball launched at a certain angle in order to achieve a specific flight time. The range of the ball varies based on the launch angle, with a maximum range of 45 degrees. The solution involves using equations for velocity and position to determine the time and velocity of the ball at its highest point, and using this information to find the minimum speed needed for the desired flight time.
0aNoMaLi7
Kinematic Range Problem Help!

This problem is kicking my butt...

A ball is to be shot from level ground with a certain speed. The figure attached shows the range R it will have versus the launch angle 'theta'at which it can be launched. (The vertical axis is marked in increments of 20.0 m.) The choice of 'theta' determines the flight time. Let tmax represent the maximum flight time in seconds. What is the least speed the ball will have during its flight if 'theta' is chosen such that the flight time is 0.200tmax?

This problem is way too theoretical for me. I know that max range for a projectile is 45 degrees as dictated by the equation R= (V^2/g) x sin2'theta'. I could really use some direction. Thanks. This place rocks! I have told many of my classmates. :biggrin:

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 663
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the initial velocity v_0

being launched at an angle, you have the following velocities in the x and y direction:
x: v_0 * cosA
y: v_0 * sinA

To determine the time it takes for the ball to rise and fall, you can use the instantaneous position and velocity formulas:
y(t) = 0 + v_0 * sinA * t - (1/2)gt^2
v_y = v_0 * sinA - gt

When the ball reaches its highest point, the y velocity should be 0, so:
v_0 sinA = gt

the total time the projectile spends is 2t, so:
t_max = 2* v_0/g * sinA

Noting that the velocity is just a vector composed of the x and y direction velocities, it shouldn't be too difficult from here

I'm new and too lazy to learn the latex math typesetting, but I hope this helps :)

Likes 1 person

Dear student,

I understand that this kinematic range problem is challenging for you, but don't worry, I am here to help! Let's break down the problem and see if we can find a solution together.

First, let's review the given information. We know that the range of a projectile depends on its launch angle 'theta' and its initial speed. The maximum range is achieved at 45 degrees, as you correctly stated. We also know that the flight time is directly related to the launch angle, with a maximum flight time of tmax seconds.

Now, the question is asking for the least speed the ball will have during its flight if 'theta' is chosen such that the flight time is 0.200tmax. This means that we need to find the minimum speed that will still allow the ball to have a flight time of 0.200tmax seconds.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for flight time: t = (2Vsin'theta')/g. We also know that the maximum flight time is tmax, so we can set up the following equation: tmax = (2Vsin'theta')/g.

Now, we can rearrange this equation to solve for V: V = (gtmax)/(2sin'theta'). This gives us the minimum speed that the ball must have in order to have a flight time of 0.200tmax seconds.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always review the given information and use the appropriate equations to solve the problem. Keep up the good work and good luck! And thank you for recommending this resource to your classmates, we appreciate it. :smile:

Related to Difficult Kinematic Range Problem

1. What is the Difficult Kinematic Range Problem?

The Difficult Kinematic Range Problem is a challenge in physics that arises when trying to accurately measure and predict the motion of an object over a large range of velocities. It is particularly difficult when the object is moving at extreme speeds, close to the speed of light.

2. Why is the Difficult Kinematic Range Problem important?

This problem is important because it affects our understanding of the laws of physics and our ability to accurately predict the behavior of objects at high velocities. It is also crucial in fields such as astrophysics, where objects in the universe can reach extreme speeds.

3. What are some strategies for addressing the Difficult Kinematic Range Problem?

One strategy is to use multiple reference frames to analyze the motion of the object. Another is to use advanced mathematical tools such as relativity and quantum mechanics to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects at high speeds.

4. How does the Difficult Kinematic Range Problem relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, provides a framework for understanding and solving the Difficult Kinematic Range Problem. This theory explains how time and space are affected by an object's velocity, allowing us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects at high speeds.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving the Difficult Kinematic Range Problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving this problem. For example, it is crucial for accurately predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, designing spacecraft and satellites, and understanding the behavior of objects in extreme environments such as black holes.