Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Difficult Improper Integrals in Real Analysis.

bw0young0math

Jun 14, 2013
Hello. I'm studying improper integrals in real analysis. However, two problems are very difficult to me. If you are OK, please help me.(heart)

55.jpg

I have solutions about above problems.
However, I don't know how I approach and find the way for solving them.

Attachments

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Re: Help me~♡ Difficult improper integrals in real analysis.

Hello. I'm studying improper integrals in real analysis. However, two problems are very difficult to me. If you are OK, please help me.(heart)
Let's consider the second integral. A primitive of the function is...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{x\ \ln^{\alpha} x} = \frac{ \ln^{1 - \alpha} x} {1 - \alpha} + c\ (1)$

... but the fact that the integral is from 0 to infinity introduces several difficulties. In particular for $\alpha> 1$ the (1) has a singularity in x= 1 and that means that the integral diverges and for $\alpha< 1$ the (1) tends to infinity if x tends to infinity and also in this case the integral diverges...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

We have to consider \(\displaystyle \alpha>-1 \) to solve the first integral by Laplace transform .

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

We have to consider \(\displaystyle \alpha>-1 \) to solve the first integral by Laplace transform .
May be that the following 'forgotten formula' ...

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/laplace-transform-7057.html#post32097

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{f_{1}(t)\ f_{2}(t)\} = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma - i\ \infty}^{\gamma + i\ \infty} F_{1} (z)\ F_{2}(s - z)\ dz\ (1)$

... is useful in this case. Here is $\displaystyle f_{1} (t) = t^{\alpha} \implies F_{1} (s) = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{s^{1 + \alpha}}$ and $\displaystyle f_{2} (t) = \sin t \implies F_{2}(s)= \frac{1}{1 + s^{2}}$. In any case that is not a trivial task...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Last edited:

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012

We may be considering finding the explicit values for the improper integrals, but is that really the question? Bw0young0math, are you interested in results for the integrals or just in the analysis of their convergence? :)

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

May be that the following 'forgotten formula' ...

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/laplace-transform-7057.html#post32097

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{f_{1}(t)\ f_{2}(t)\} = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma - i\ \infty}^{\gamma + i\ \infty} F_{1} (z)\ F_{2}(s - z)\ dz\ (1)$

... is useful in this case. Here is $\displaystyle f_{1} (t) = t^{\alpha} \implies F_{1} (s) = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{s^{1 + \alpha}}$ and $\displaystyle f_{2} (t) = \sin t \implies F_{2}(s)= \frac{1}{1 + s^{2}}$. In any case that is not a trivial task...
An Italian adage says 'The Devil is not so ugly as You paint him' so that we try to compute the integral...

$\displaystyle I(s) = \int_{c - i\ \infty}^{c + i\ \infty} \frac{d z}{z^{1 + \alpha}\ \{1 + (s - z)^{2}\}}\ (1)$

... and we do that integrating along the path illustrated in the figure...

If T tends to infinity the integral along the 'big circle' tends to 0 so that integral is given by...

$\displaystyle I(s)= - \lim_{z \rightarrow s + i} \frac{1}{z^{1 + \alpha}\ (s - z - i)} - \lim_{z \rightarrow s - i} \frac{1}{z^{1 + \alpha}\ (s - z + i)}= \frac{1}{2\ i\ (s+i)^{1 + \alpha}} + \frac{1}{2\ i\ (s-i)^{1 + \alpha}}\ (2)$

... so that the final result should be...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{\alpha}\ \sin t\ e^{-t}\ d t = \frac{\Gamma(1 + \alpha)}{2\ \pi\ i} I(1) = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{4\ \pi} \frac{(1 + i)^{1 + \alpha} + (1-i)^{1 + \alpha}}{2^{1 + \alpha}}\ (3)$

Since in pure calculus I am very poor, it should be useful that some 'young mind' verifies all that...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

I did not see the answer but I think it should be

\(\displaystyle \Im \left (\frac{\Gamma (\alpha +1)}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}}\right)\)
\(\displaystyle (1-i) = \sqrt{2} e^{-i \frac{\pi }{4}}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}} = 2^{-\frac{1+\alpha }{2}} e^{i \frac{\pi (\alpha+1) }{4}}\)

\(\displaystyle \Im \left( \frac{1}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}} \right) = 2^{-\frac{1+\alpha }{2}} \sin \left(\frac{ \pi (\alpha+1) }{4} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle I = \Gamma \left(\alpha +1 \right)\Im \left( \frac{1}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}} \right) = 2^{-\frac{1+\alpha }{2}} \sin \left(\frac{ \pi (\alpha+1) }{4} \right) \Gamma (\alpha+1)\)

However , W|A says that this result is for all \(\displaystyle \alpha >-2\) , so we have to extend it for the singularity at \(\displaystyle \alpha =- 1\).

bw0young0math

Jun 14, 2013
Hello.
At first, I want to tell you I'm so sorry because I wrote problems in detail.

The problem is judging when the improper integrals are convergent.
(i.e., the problem is finding the ranges for the improperintegrals: convergent.)

I wrote the problems' solutions I have in my blog.
(The file is so large that I uploaded in my blog. Please click here. Thank you.)(heart)
I have solutions someone solved. However, i don't know how I have to solve them.

p.s. ZaidAlyafey sovled by using Laplace but I don't know Laplace.
Are my problems so difficult??

Last edited:

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
That result could of course be generalized.

$ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} {e^{-ax}} \sin (bx) x^{s-1} \ dx \ (a,s >0)$

$ \displaystyle = -\text{Im} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(a+ib)x} x^{s-1} \ dx $

$ \displaystyle = -\text{Im} \ \mathcal{L}\{x^{s-1} \}(a+ib) $

$ \displaystyle = -\text{Im} \ \frac{\Gamma(s)}{(a+ib)^{s}}$

$ \displaystyle = - \text{Im} \ \frac{\Gamma(s)}{\left( \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}} \right)^{s}} \ e^{-is \arctan \frac{b}{a}}$

$ \displaystyle = \frac{\Gamma(s)}{\left( \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}} \right)^{s}} \ \sin \left( s \arctan \frac{b}{a} \right)$

And if $-1 < s < 0$,

$ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} {e^{-ax}} \sin (bx) x^{s-1} \ dx = \frac{\pi \csc (\pi s) }{\Gamma(1-s) \left( \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}} \right)^{s}} \ \sin \left( s \arctan \frac{b}{a} \right)$

Last edited: