Difficult Dissolution/Neutralization Question

• Thread starter PVnRT81
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement states that the molar heat of neutralization of solid sodium hydroxide by a solution of hydrochloric acid is -54 kJ/mol.
PVnRT81

Homework Statement

Find the molar heat of neutralization of solid sodium hydroxide by a solution of hydrochloric acid given the following data:

Molar heat of dissolution of solid NaOH: -53.4 kJ/mol

Molar heat of neutralization of a solution of NaOH by a solution of HCL = -54 kJ/mol

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm really stumped by this question.

I don't really understand how I can work with these two data.

Can anyone hint as to where I can begin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PVnRT81 said:

Homework Statement

Find the molar heat of neutralization of solid sodium hydroxide by a solution of hydrochloric acid given the following data:

Molar heat of dissolution of solid NaOH: -53.4 kJ/mol

Molar heat of neutralization of a solution of NaOH by a solution of HCL = -54 kJ/mol

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm really stumped by this question.

I don't really understand how I can work with these two data.

Can anyone hint as to where I can begin?

Hi PVnRT81!

I am not sure but I guess this is an "add or subtract the reactions" problem. Start by writing down the two given reactions and then write down the reaction you have to find the enthalpy for.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Hi PVnRT81!

I am not sure but I guess this is an "add or subtract the reactions" problem. Start by writing down the two given reactions and then write down the reaction you have to find the enthalpy for.

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried doing that below:

NaOHs --> Na+aq + OH-aq ΔH=-53.4 kJ

NaOHaq + HClaq --> NaCls + H2O l ΔH= -54 kJ

After adding them up using Hess' Law, I get the ΔH to be -107.4 kJ.

I am not sure if this is right since I canceled out the Na and OH ions in the first equation with NaOH in the second equation.

PVnRT81 said:
Thank you for your reply.

I have tried doing that below:

NaOHs --> Na+aq + OH-aq ΔH=-53.4 kJ

NaOHaq + HClaq --> NaCls + H2O l ΔH= -54 kJ

After adding them up using Hess' Law, I get the ΔH to be -107.4 kJ.

I am not sure if this is right since I canceled out the Na and OH ions in the first equation with NaOH in the second equation.

That looks right to me. :)

You can cancel the ions and NaOH(aq) as NaOH(aq) is basically those dissociated ions.

I would first start by understanding the concept of molar heat of neutralization and how it relates to the reaction between sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid. The molar heat of neutralization is the heat released or absorbed when one mole of an acid and one mole of a base react to form one mole of water and a salt.

Next, I would use the data given to calculate the molar heat of neutralization of solid sodium hydroxide by a solution of hydrochloric acid. This can be done by subtracting the molar heat of dissolution of solid NaOH (-53.4 kJ/mol) from the molar heat of neutralization of a solution of NaOH by a solution of HCl (-54 kJ/mol). This will give you the molar heat of neutralization for the reaction between NaOH and HCl.

It is also important to note that the molar heat of neutralization is a constant value for a specific acid-base reaction, so the molar heat of neutralization calculated using the given data can be applied to any other similar reaction between NaOH and HCl.

In order to fully understand and solve this question, I would also recommend reviewing the principles of thermodynamics and enthalpy, as well as any relevant equations and concepts related to neutralization reactions. Additionally, seeking assistance from a teacher or fellow peer may also be beneficial in providing further guidance and clarification.

Related to Difficult Dissolution/Neutralization Question

1. What is a difficult dissolution/neutralization question?

A difficult dissolution/neutralization question is a problem that involves the dissolution (breaking down) or neutralization (balancing of acidic and basic components) of a substance in a solution. These types of questions often require a deep understanding of chemistry principles and complex problem-solving skills.

2. Why are dissolution/neutralization questions considered difficult?

Dissolution/neutralization questions can be considered difficult because they often involve multiple concepts and require a thorough understanding of chemical reactions and equations. These questions may also require critical thinking and the ability to analyze and manipulate data.

3. What are some strategies for solving difficult dissolution/neutralization questions?

Some strategies for solving difficult dissolution/neutralization questions include carefully reading and understanding the question, identifying the given information and unknowns, and choosing the appropriate equations and concepts to use. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or tables to organize the information and to double-check calculations for accuracy.

4. How can I prepare for difficult dissolution/neutralization questions?

To prepare for difficult dissolution/neutralization questions, it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry principles and to practice solving similar types of problems. It can also be helpful to review and understand the different types of chemical reactions and their corresponding equations.

5. Can I use a calculator when solving difficult dissolution/neutralization questions?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to use a calculator when solving difficult dissolution/neutralization questions. However, be sure to check the specific instructions or guidelines for the problem as some may require you to show calculations by hand. Also, be sure to use the appropriate units and significant figures when using a calculator.