When you hold a certain piece of glass up to the light

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a certain piece of glass appearing blue when held up to light and yellow when light is shined on it. The speaker is curious about the cause of this and suggests it may be due to reflection and refraction. However, more details are needed to accurately determine the cause.
bukie33613
When you hold a certain piece of glass up to the light...

Hi,
My question is thus:
When you hold a certain piece of glass up to the light, the light coming through it appears blue. But when you shine light on it, it has a yellow color. What's going on?

Science news on Phys.org
But when you shine light on it, it has a yellow color.

what's the "it" referring to? the piece of glass? the particles in the air reflecting the light?

I am guessing he means the glass, and by that I would say he is speaking of reflection and refraction. As bukie never mentions the original color of the glass as seen by "white" light, I am also assuming that the color of it is one other than "clear." Now correct me if I'm wrong but the shape of the glass would have to be something other than "flat" in order to cause it to appear "yellow" when the light is reflected off it, and "blue" when light passes through it.
I'm afraid you're going to have to be alittle more specific in your description, bukie.

What causes the glass to appear different when held up to light?

The glass appears different when held up to light because of its physical and chemical properties. Depending on the composition and thickness of the glass, it can refract, reflect, and absorb light in different ways, resulting in different colors and effects.

Why does the glass change color when held up to light?

The change in color is due to the way light interacts with the glass. Some colors of light may be absorbed while others are reflected or refracted, resulting in a change in the perceived color of the glass.

How does the type of light source affect the appearance of the glass?

The type of light source can greatly impact how the glass appears when held up to light. Natural sunlight, fluorescent light, and incandescent light all have different wavelengths and intensities, which can alter the way the glass reflects and refracts light.

Why does some glass appear to be translucent while others are transparent when held up to light?

The transparency of glass depends on its molecular structure. If the molecules are arranged in a regular pattern, the glass will be transparent. If the molecules are more randomly arranged, the glass will be translucent, allowing some light to pass through but not enough to see clearly through it.

Can the appearance of the glass change over time when exposed to light?

Yes, the appearance of glass can change over time when exposed to light. This is due to a process called photo-oxidation, where light causes chemical reactions that can alter the composition and color of the glass. This is often seen in antique glassware that has become discolored over time.