[difficult] bernoulli's equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pressure difference inside an aneurysm in the aorta, given the flow rate and radii of the aorta and aneurysm. The equation used is P = 1/2 (d (V1^2 - V2^2)), where d is the density of blood, V1 is the initial velocity, and V2 is the final velocity. The conversation also mentions that the density of blood can be approximated using the average density of human blood, which is approximately 1060 kg/m^3. The pressure difference due to gravity can be ignored since the patient is lying down.
Bob Loblaw

Homework Statement

In an aortic aneurysm, a bulge forms where the walls of the aorta are weakened. If blood flowing through the aorta (radius 1.1 cm) enters an aneurysm with a radius of 3.1 cm, how much on average is the blood pressure higher inside the aneurysm than the pressure in the unenlarged part of the aorta? The average flow rate through the aorta is 110 cm3/s. Assume the blood is non-viscous and the patient is lying down so there is no change in height.

? Pa

Homework Equations

P = 1/2 (d (V1^2 - V2^2))
where
d = density
V1 = initial velocity
V2 = final velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

to get V1 you have to use Flow rate / pi r^2. When I try to finish the equation, I notice that I need the density of blood but none is given in the text nor in the homework. Is there a way to solve this without knowing blood density? Or do I have to find a value online?

Could anybody help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The equation you are using to solve for the pressure difference is correct, but you are missing a key variable - the change in height. Since the patient is lying down, there is no change in height and therefore the pressure difference due to gravity can be ignored.

To solve for the density of blood, we can use the average density of human blood, which is approximately 1060 kg/m^3. This value may vary slightly depending on factors such as age and health, but it should give you a good estimate for your calculations.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Scientist

I understand your frustration with the lack of information provided in this problem. However, it is important to note that the density of blood can vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and health conditions. In this case, it would be best to assume a standard value for blood density, such as 1.06 g/cm3, which is commonly used in similar problems. This value can be found in many reliable sources, such as medical textbooks or online databases. Alternatively, you can also use the given information and equations to solve for the pressure difference using a variable for density, and then use that value to solve for the actual pressure difference using a more accurate density value if it is provided later in the problem. I hope this helps.

Related to [difficult] bernoulli's equation

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it used?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. It states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline. This equation is used to analyze the flow of fluids and can be applied to a wide range of real-world situations, such as in aerodynamics and hydraulics.

2. What are the assumptions made in Bernoulli's equation?

There are several assumptions made in Bernoulli's equation, including that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and irrotational; the flow is steady; and there are no external forces acting on the fluid. Additionally, the equation assumes that the fluid is flowing along a streamline, which means that the velocity is constant at any given point on the streamline.

3. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the principles of conservation of mass and energy. It can be derived using the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid, along with the continuity equation, which relates the velocity and density of a fluid. By simplifying these equations and making certain assumptions, Bernoulli's equation can be derived.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all fluids?

No, Bernoulli's equation can only be applied to incompressible fluids. This means that the density of the fluid remains constant, regardless of changes in pressure or velocity. Examples of incompressible fluids include water, oil, and air at low speeds. Compressible fluids, such as gases, require more complex equations to describe their behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in various fields, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and hydraulics. It can be used to analyze the lift and drag forces on an airplane wing, the flow of water through a pipe, and the behavior of fluids in pumps and turbines. It is also used in the design of airfoils, hydraulic systems, and other fluid-related devices.