Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Differentiation under integral sign

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
Hello,

How to find formulas for these$\displaystyle\int x^n\sin(x)\, dx, \displaystyle\int x^n\cos(x)\, dx,$ indefinite integrals when $n=1,2,3,4$ using differentiation under the integral sign starting with the formulas

$$\displaystyle\int \cos(tx)\,dx = \frac{\sin(tx)}{t}, \displaystyle\int \sin(tx)\,dx= -\frac{\cos(tx)}{t}$$ for $t > 0.$

I don't have any idea to solve these indefinite integrals except to solve them recursively using integration by parts.

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
You are required to use "differentiation" under the integral? These can be done directly using "integration by parts".

MountEvariste

Jun 29, 2017
See what happens when you differentiate both sides of those relations with respect to $t$ and then set $t=1$.

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
See what happens when you differentiate both sides of those relations with respect to $t$ and then set $t=1$.
Hello,
I solved the two indefinate integrals using differentiation under integral sign as well as using integration by parts. Under these both method i got the correct answers. For example if we put n=4,the integral to be solved becomes $\displaystyle\int x^4\sin{(tx)}dx =\frac{(4x^3t^3-24tx)*\sin{(tx)}+(-x^4t^4+12x^2t^2-24)*\cos{(tx)}}{t^5}$

Now if we put t=1, the answer will become $(4x^3-24x)*\sin{(x)}+(-x^4+12x^2-24)*\cos{(x)}$

Now how to derive the formula for $\displaystyle\int x^4\sin{(x)}dx?$

In other cases where n=1,2,3, similar problem will persist.

MountEvariste

Jun 29, 2017
In other cases where n=1,2,3, similar problem will persist.
Perhaps you've figured it out by now, but I don't see any differentiation under integral sign.

$$\displaystyle\int \cos(tx)\,dx = \frac{\sin(tx)}{t}, \displaystyle\int \sin(tx)\,dx= -\frac{\cos(tx)}{t}$$ for $t > 0.$
In these two equalities, differentiate both the RHS and the LHS with respect to $t$. Adjust for constant. Do it again, and again. You'll get all of them.