History of LSD and its spider experiments?

• History
  • Thread starter hybrid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of giving spiders LSD and the involvement of the American government in LSD research. The participants also touch on other drugs and their effects on spiders, as well as the history of LSD and its use by the CIA. Some participants share personal stories and opinions on the topic.
hybrid
[SOLVED] Spiders On LSD

Weirdness here====> http://www.sibioc.it/varie/drogheragnatele.pdf

what will they think think of next...

Science news on Phys.org
HA HA HA HA HA

I wonder if they see humans crawling on their skin when they go through withdrawl.

I seem to remember something like that at my high school library, Time-Life Encyclopedia or something. Did it convince anyone to stop using? Doubtful, it was the early 70's. Reaction was more likely to be on the order of; "Whoa! Man! Cooool"

The two questions that immediately cone to mind are;

1)How much of my money did the Government spend scoring acid for spiders?

2)How the HECK did they find a vein?!

Originally posted by LURCH
2)How the HECK did they find a vein?!

You don't need a vein for LSD; it absorbs right through the skin. They fed LSD-dosed flies to the spiders (presumably caught with LSD-dosed flypaper).

As for the American government scoring acid, well that's easy. The Pres just calls the Director of the CIA. They are the ones who financed the early R+D on LSD. Probably still have some stock on hand in the back store room.

Wow, and I thought he just called his fraternity...

Originally posted by kleinjahr
As for the American government scoring acid, well that's easy. The Pres just calls the Director of the CIA. They are the ones who financed the early R+D on LSD. Probably still have some stock on hand in the back store room.

the government did the LSD tests in new york and san fran people who liked the LSD told others about this groviey stuff and the freeks were born with the CIA as the dad

not the only CIA drug dealing tho the CIA in v-nam area/era with junk[heroin] in 60's and centrial america in the contra's and coke[cocane] dealing led to the crack all over our streets cheap in the 80's

if uncle sam had just said NO to DRUGS we would be better off now

but I guess the LSD had the less harmfull results, at least it is nontoxic
so no derect deaths anyway

and harmless pot is still the opject of most law inforcement efforts today

maybe it is better to JUST SAY NO to GOVERMENT then NO wars or stupid laws, or othe PIG BS

It is difficult to tell with the lighting used, but the web made on LSD looks a little more efficient than the baseline. The spacing between radial strands appears to be a little wider, but the series of circular strands are either badly lighted, or they could be thinner than those in the other webs. If I am seeing this correctly...I wonder if the lsd web was as effective as the reference.

I have seen a similar series of photos but not for drugs. One gets similar results by simply destroying the web regularly. Each reconstruction gets worse. I wonder if they used the same spider here each time. If so, what a week that spider must have had.

Tom: good one!...seeing humans crawling on his skin...you kill me! Question. Do spiders have skin? Also, what do you think? Really. Can spiders hallucinate? What a concept.

A friend pointed out that we shouldn’t knock the caffeine driven web. It may look bad, but it was done in half the time and with a great attitude!

Last edited:
There's actually a whole cottage, uh, subfield that was devoted to giving various drugs to spiders and looking at their web patterns. I have pharmacology books with pictures of spiderwebs made on LSD, cocaine, alcohol, qualuudes, etc. It's pretty amusing, and you can convince yourself the web patterns vaguely "make sense" given the characteristics of the drugs in question. I can prob find web refs if anyone wants, PM me, I don't normally check this forum. :smile:

I was going to comment that the Caffeine spider, the spider on the drug which is most proliferant in our society, looked by far the worst.

Hmmm...

Government LSD

LSD has played an interesting role with our government in the past. If anybody has read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test much of their tests with civilians is recounted through Ken Kesey.

What I thought was...well...disturbing was the cia's involvement with the drug. It was being tested as a mind controlling device and was even tested on small villages in southeast asia. The idea was, saturate a water supply with the drug and you could take the village with no shots fired...this obviously failed.

Previous to that when the Cia first got ahold of LSD they tried it on a select group of operators. 12 if my memmory serves me...it may not though...i wonder why. anyways back to the CIA. After each of these select few had been dosed they got a little bored. So they started secretly dosing people in the office. I remember reading one story about a guy who had a large dose on a pin or something like that...while ridding in the elevator his pricked some passenger. Then he told the group and they observed the poor soul throught the trip...loads more on stuff like this.

ahh good ol LSD the heaven hell drug.

peace

1. What is the history of LSD and its spider experiments?

The history of LSD and its spider experiments dates back to the mid-20th century when Swiss chemist Albert Hofmann first synthesized the drug in 1938. In the 1950s and 1960s, LSD gained popularity as a recreational drug and was also used in psychological experiments, including the famous spider experiments conducted by Dr. Peter Witt in 1951. These experiments aimed to study the effects of LSD on the behavior of spiders.

2. What were the findings of the spider experiments?

The spider experiments found that LSD had a significant impact on the behavior of spiders. The spiders that were exposed to LSD were found to be more active and adventurous compared to the control group. They also constructed more complex webs and displayed abnormal movements. These findings led to further research on the effects of LSD on animals and humans.

3. What were the implications of the spider experiments on the use of LSD?

The spider experiments sparked controversy and raised concerns about the potential dangers of using LSD. Some argued that the drug could have harmful effects on humans and animals, while others saw it as a potential tool for understanding the human mind. The experiments also contributed to the growing interest in studying the effects of psychedelics on the brain and behavior.

4. How did the spider experiments impact the perception of LSD in society?

The spider experiments, along with other studies on LSD, led to the drug's widespread use in the counterculture movement of the 1960s. However, as more research was conducted, LSD was classified as a Schedule I drug due to its potential for abuse and lack of accepted medical use. The spider experiments, along with other studies, also helped shape the negative perception of LSD in society.

5. Are there any ongoing studies on LSD and its effects on spiders?

While the spider experiments were groundbreaking at the time, there have been limited studies on the effects of LSD on spiders since then. However, recent research has focused on using LSD and other psychedelics to study consciousness and brain function, which may indirectly shed light on the effects of these substances on animals like spiders.