Differentiation in spherical coordinates.

In summary, the electrostatic potential of a point charge is given by u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}, and the charge density of a point charge is represented by \delta(r). In question 2, it is shown that \nabla^2u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}+\frac{\cot\theta}{r^2}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}+\frac
yungman
1) If [itex]u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}[/itex], is [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\phi}}=0[/itex] because [itex]u[/itex] is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex] and[itex] \;\phi[/itex]?

2) If [itex]u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}[/itex], is:
[tex]\nabla^2u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}+\frac{\cot\theta}{r^2}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}+\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\phi}^2}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}=0[/tex]

Because [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\phi}}=0[/itex].

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
1) If [itex]u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}[/itex], is [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\phi}}=0[/itex] because [itex]u[/itex] is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex] and[itex] \;\phi[/itex]?
Yep.
yungman said:
2) If [itex]u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}[/itex], is:
[tex]\nabla^2u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}+\frac{\cot\theta}{r^2}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}+\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\phi}^2}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}=0[/tex]

Because [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\phi}}=0[/itex].

Thanks
Hint: what is the electrostatic potential of a point charge? What is the charge density of a point charge?

EDIT: hint: Poisson's equation

jason

Likes 1 person
I guess I should add: your result for question 2 is completely correct as long as r is not zero. But for the kinds of applications I know you care about you will want to care about what happens at zero.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Jason, I know I can count on you. Yes, I forgot to specify [itex]r>0[/itex].

I didn't really think about whether you stated r>0; I am just thinking about how [itex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{r}[/itex] is proportional to [itex]\delta(r)[/itex], which is of course zero away from r=0, as you say. But for E&M the delta function is key.

Jason

Related to Differentiation in spherical coordinates.

1. What is the purpose of using spherical coordinates in differentiation?

Spherical coordinates are often used to describe points in three-dimensional space, particularly in situations where the Cartesian coordinate system is not ideal. This allows for a more intuitive representation of objects that have a spherical or radial symmetry, such as planets or atoms.

2. How does the conversion between Cartesian and spherical coordinates affect differentiation?

The conversion between Cartesian and spherical coordinates involves the use of trigonometric functions, which can complicate the process of differentiation. However, once the conversion is made, differentiation in spherical coordinates follows the same rules as differentiation in Cartesian coordinates.

3. Can differentiation be applied to all functions expressed in spherical coordinates?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to any function expressed in spherical coordinates. However, it is important to note that the resulting derivatives will also be expressed in spherical coordinates.

4. What are the key differences between differentiating in spherical coordinates and cylindrical coordinates?

While both spherical and cylindrical coordinates involve the use of trigonometric functions, the main difference lies in the number of variables. Spherical coordinates have three variables (r, θ, φ) while cylindrical coordinates only have two (r, θ). This can affect the number of partial derivatives needed when differentiating.

5. How is the chain rule applied in differentiating in spherical coordinates?

The chain rule is applied in a similar manner as in Cartesian coordinates. However, since the variables in spherical coordinates are not independent, the chain rule must be applied carefully. This typically involves the use of the spherical coordinate transformation equations to express the derivatives in terms of the Cartesian derivatives.