Differentiation & composite functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the different notations used to represent the derivative of a composite function and the confusion that can arise from their different interpretations. The chain rule is introduced as a precise statement of the relationship between these notations and it is concluded that the use of inconsistent notations can lead to different answers. The expert recommends against using the notation df[g(x)]/dx and suggests using the chain rule in order to avoid confusion.
kingwinner
What is the actual meaning of the notation of
Code:
df[g(x)]
-------
  dx

Here do we actually differentiate f with respect to x first and then evaluate it at g(x), or do we first evaluate f at g(x), then differentiate it with respect to x? Does the order matter?

df
--[g(x)]
dx

d
--f[g(x)]
dx

Are these two equivalent to the first one? (i.e. do all three notations have exactly the same meaning?)

Thanks for explaining!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned the chain rule yet?

Let

f = f(g)
g = g(x)
h = f(g(x))

Then the chain rule is precisely the statement that

[tex]\frac{dh}{dx} = \left. \frac{df}{dg} \right|_{g(x)} \; \frac{dg}{dx}[/tex]

In other words, the chain rule states that yes, your two methods described are equivalent.

What d f(g(x))/dx really means is that you take the composite function: first apply g to x then apply f to that. Whatever function you get is what you differentiate.

For example, if g(x)= 3x- 4 and f(x)= x2, then f(g(x))= (3x-4)2= 9x2- 24x+ 16. The derivative of that is 18x- 24.

As has been pointed out, you could also use the "chain rule". Letting u= g(x), f(g(x)) becomes f(u) and the chain rule says df(g(x))/dx= (df(u)/du)(du/dx)= (df(u)/du)(dg/dx).
Since f(u)= u2, df(u)/du= 2u and since g(x)= 3x- 4, dg/dx= 3.

(df(u)/du)(du/dx)= (2u)(3)= 6u= 6(3x-4)= 18x- 24 as before.

HallsofIvy said:
For example, if g(x)= 3x- 4 and f(x)= x2, then f(g(x))= (3x-4)2= 9x2- 24x+ 16. The derivative of that is 18x- 24.
But the following notation seems to give inconsistent results:
df
--[g(x)]
dx

In your example,
df
--(x) = df/dx = 2x (df/dx is a function of x)
dx

df
--[g(x)] = 2(3x-4) = 6x-8 (evaluate the derivative function at g(x) )
dx
which is different from 18x - 24

So this is what I am concerning with, there are 3 notations (see top post) that seemingly represent the same thing, but can get different answers because their interpretations can be different...

Please help...this is what I've been wondering (and having trouble understanding) for a long time...and the 3 different ways of writing a derivative as shown in the first post come up very often.

kingwinner said:
But the following notation seems to give inconsistent results:
df
--[g(x)]
dx
Yes, that notation does. That's why I would never use such notation!

In your example,
df
--(x) = df/dx = 2x (df/dx is a function of x)
dx

df
--[g(x)] = 2(3x-4) = 6x-8 (evaluate the derivative function at g(x) )
dx
which is different from 18x - 24
And I did not write any of those things. That is why I do not use that notation.

So this is what I am concerning with, there are 3 notations (see top post) that seemingly represent the same thing, but can get different answers because their interpretations can be different...

Please help...this is what I've been wondering (and having trouble understanding) for a long time...and the 3 different ways of writing a derivative as shown in the first post come up very often.

Related to Differentiation & composite functions

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. It involves calculating the derivative of a function, which represents the instantaneous rate of change at that point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to model and understand the behavior of complex systems. It is also necessary for optimization and finding maximum and minimum values of functions.

3. What are composite functions?

A composite function is a combination of two or more functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of another. It is denoted as f(g(x)), where g(x) is the inner function and f(x) is the outer function.

4. How do you differentiate composite functions?

To differentiate a composite function, we use the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function f(g(x)) is equal to the derivative of the outer function f'(x) multiplied by the derivative of the inner function g'(x).

5. Can you give an example of differentiating a composite function?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3, and we want to find the derivative at x = 2, we can use the chain rule to get f'(x) = 3(x^2 + 1)^2 * 2x. Plugging in x = 2, we get f'(2) = 12(2^2 + 1)^2 * 2(2) = 216.