Differentiation application problem

In summary, the problem involves an inverted cone with a depth of 10cm and a base radius of 5cm, into which water is poured at a rate of 1.5 cm^3/min. The task is to find the rate at which the water level in the cone is rising when the depth of water is 4cm. After applying the chain rule and using the formula for the volume of a cone in terms of the height, the final answer is calculated to be 6/πh^2. When h=4cm, the rate of the water level rising is 3/(8π) cm/min.
Shivansh Mathur

Homework Statement

An inverted cone has a depth of 10cm and a base radius of 5cm. Water is poured into it at the rate of 1.5 cm^3/ min. Find the rate at which level of water in the cone is rising, when the depth of water is 4cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I know that this question requires the application of chain rule. However having only recently studied it, I am yet to fully understand it's application. Therefore looking for an answer which gives a correct approach to such questions.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shivansh Mathur said:

Homework Statement

An inverted cone has a depth of 10cm and a base radius of 5cm. Water is poured into it at the rate of 1.5 cm^3/ min. Find the rate at which level of water in the cone is rising, when the depth of water is 4cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I know that this question requires the application of chain rule. However having only recently studied it, I am yet to fully understand it's application. Therefore looking for an answer which gives a correct approach to such questions.

Thanks.
Well, PF doesn't provide answers to members, only guidance. You must try harder to understand the question.

For example, how would you calculate the volume of water in this cone, given the depth of the water?

Ok, so what I've done is this -

In the ques. h=2r or r=h/2
So the formula for volume of cone is written in terms of 'h'.

Now,
dv/dt = 1.5 (given)
And dv/dh is calculated.

Then after applying chain rule, dh/dt comes out to be 3/8π

Now could you please tell me if I'm right?
Thanks

Shivansh Mathur said:
Ok, so what I've done is this -

In the ques. h=2r or r=h/2
So the formula for volume of cone is written in terms of 'h'.

Now,
dv/dt = 1.5 (given)
And dv/dh is calculated.

Is this (3/8)π or 3/(8π)?

Shivansh Mathur said:
As SteamKing notes, that is technically (3/8)π, but maybe you did not mean that. Either way, I get a different answer. Please post your working.

Volume of cone = 1/3π r2h
r=5 cm. h = 10 cm
r= h/2

1/3π (h2/4) h

πh3/12

dv/dt = 1.5
dh/dt = ?

dv/dt = dh/dt * dv/dh
1.5 = dh/dt * πh2/4

dh/dt = 6/πh2

Now putting h=4,
I got the answer 3/(8π)

The height of the cone is not 4 cm, that is the starting depth of the water, and not the height of the cone.

Shivansh Mathur said:
Volume of cone = 1/3π r2h
r=5 cm. h = 10 cm
r= h/2

1/3π (h2/4) h

πh3/12

dv/dt = 1.5
dh/dt = ?

dv/dt = dh/dt * dv/dh
1.5 = dh/dt * πh2/4

dh/dt = 6/πh2

Now putting h=4,
I got the answer 3/(8π)
You should write complete equations in your work, rather than isolated expressions.

For example, write

V = πh3/12 rather than just πh3/12

It makes your thoughts much easier to follow in extended calculations.

Related to Differentiation application problem

1. What is "Differentiation application problem"?

"Differentiation application problem" refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves using the principles of differentiation, a mathematical technique used to calculate rates of change, to solve real-world applications or scenarios.

2. Why is "Differentiation application problem" important?

"Differentiation application problem" is important because it allows us to apply mathematical concepts to real-life situations and solve problems that may arise in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand and analyze the behavior of complex systems.

3. What are some common examples of "Differentiation application problem"?

Some common examples of "Differentiation application problem" include finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the velocity and acceleration of an object, and optimizing production or profit in a business setting.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a "Differentiation application problem"?

The steps involved in solving a "Differentiation application problem" include identifying the independent and dependent variables, writing the function that relates them, taking the derivative of the function, setting the derivative equal to zero to find critical points, and using the second derivative test to determine if the critical points are maximum or minimum values.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving "Differentiation application problem"?

To improve your skills in solving "Differentiation application problem", practice solving different types of problems, review the principles and rules of differentiation, and familiarize yourself with common applications of differentiation in various fields. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.