Differentials and integration

In summary, differentials are important in the study of calculus, and the integration formulas can be derived without differentials, but proofs of theorems are included in calculus texts to show why the statement is true.
autodidude
How important are differentials and linear approximation in the study of calculus? I mean the dy=f'(x)dx stuff. It seems simple but I always thought you couldn't treat the dy/dx as a fraction?

And can the integration...formulas be derived without using differentials (think it's the integration by parts one)? I've been taught some methods on how to integrate and I have no idea why I'm doing them, e.g. one where you take the derivative of one of the substitutions and you invert then you multiply it...etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentials can be treated as a fraction in the sense you think of it; however it needs some proofs using limits to show that they can be. However, when treating differentials as fractions (for example cancelling terms out) you think of "dx" as an infinitesimal quantity, you can't think x as a normal variable and d a very small real which makes the product infinitesimal. "d" alone means nothing, so you can't conclude that "dy/dx" is "y/x" by cancelling d's out.

Solving differential equations relies on the chain rule to establish that the derivative holds some of the properties a fraction does (not all!). The method you are talking about seems like u-substitution. When doing it, you merely write the differential dx in terms of du, for example, consider this integral:
[tex]\int^{1}_{0}(3x+5)^2 dx[/tex]
When you substitute in u=3x+5, first you express x in terms of u: [itex]x=\dfrac{u-5}{3}[/itex]. Then all you do is to express the differential dx in terms of du. How do you do this? Consider the well-known representation of the derivative, dx/du. To find this value all we do is to differentiate the right hand side with respect to u, which yields 1/3, and hence we obtain that [itex]\dfrac{dx}{du}=\dfrac{1}{3}[/itex]. Multiplying both sides by du yields (this is the step where the chain rule comes in: we treated the derivative as a fraction) [itex]dx=\dfrac{du}{3}[/itex]. Substituting this in, we simply obtain
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}u^2 \dfrac{du}{3}[/tex]
But wait, is that right? We carried the integral from the x-space to the u-space, but we are still using the same limits of integration! We have to change those. To do this, we simply plug in the two limits as x in the formula of u, and the upper limit becomes 8 and the lower limit becomes 5. This gives us the final integral
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_{5}^{8}u^2 du[/tex]
whose evaluation is straightforward.

And about the integration by parts formula: Write down the product rule and take the integral of both sides.

autodidude said:
How important are differentials and linear approximation in the study of calculus? I mean the dy=f'(x)dx stuff. It seems simple but I always thought you couldn't treat the dy/dx as a fraction?
That last statement is incorrect. dy/dx is not a fraction but can always be treated like one. It to make use of that that "differentials" are defined.

And can the integration...formulas be derived without using differentials (think it's the integration by parts one)? I've been taught some methods on how to integrate and I have no idea why I'm doing them, e.g. one where you take the derivative of one of the substitutions and you invert then you multiply it...etc.
Then you need to go back and review. It sounds like you have been memorizing formulas without understanding them. That is why proofs of theorems are included in Calculus texts. It is the proof that shows why the statement is true.

Oh so the dx at the end of an integral has meaning? I thought it just meant with respect to x. So it would a super small change in x? It's starting to make sense reading through your post!

@HallsOfIvy: I'm in a course which covers single-variable calculus (supposed to be equivalent to Calc 1 I think) but there's no emphasis on theorems or proofs (other than vectors, but that's not examinable). It's all memorise the formulas, drill, then do the ones that involve problem-solving. But I've been reading through Stewart's calculus text to get the bigger picture but I'm a bit behind cause I'm a slow learner (also, the order is different). I asked cause when I went into class, there were all these seemingly random techniques and when I read the text, it didn't make much sense at the time.

Also, I asked the question about differentials because it didn't look to me like something too important

Thanks a lot to both

1. What is the difference between differentials and integration?

Differentials and integration are two concepts in mathematics that are closely related. Differentials involve the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration involves finding the area under a curve. In other words, differentials focus on the instantaneous rate of change, while integration considers the overall change.

2. How are differentials and integration used in real life?

Differentials and integration have numerous applications in the real world, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve rates of change, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth. In economics, integration is used to calculate total revenue and marginal revenue, which are important concepts in business decision-making.

3. What is the process of finding a differential?

The process of finding a differential involves using the derivative of a function to calculate the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point. This is done by taking the limit of a difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. The result is a differential, which represents the change in the dependent variable for a given change in the independent variable.

4. How is integration related to anti-differentiation?

Integration is the inverse operation of differentiation, which is also known as anti-differentiation. This means that given a function and its derivative, integration allows us to find the original function. In other words, integration "undoes" the process of differentiation and allows us to find the function that was differentiated.

5. Are there different methods of integration?

Yes, there are several methods of integration, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These methods are used to solve different types of integrals and may involve different techniques and formulas. It is important to choose the appropriate method for a given integral in order to find the most efficient solution.