Differential gain of 3-stage amp

In summary, my attempt at the question is attached along with the schematic. When comparing my answer to the answer in the solutions, I am missing a factor of (1+gm(ro6 || ro7))^-1.
perplexabot
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the differential gain int terms of small signal parameters of the attached image.

Homework Equations

I don't think we need any equations. Just some basic mosfet knowledge.
Not going to draw the small signal circuit, because it would take a long time.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the question is attached along with the schematic. When comparing my answer to
the answer in the solutions, I am missing a factor of (1+gm(ro6 || ro7))^-1
Where || means "in parallel." I am really close but it looks like I am missing a critical part. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 6.23.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 6.23.25 PM.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 462
  • 20130518_181944.jpg
    20130518_181944.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi perplexabot. Do you not have image software that will allow you to rotate images so they are the right way up? My monitor is light enough for me to rotate it by 90 degrees, but quite precarious to balance in that state.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi perplexabot. Do you not have image software that will allow you to rotate images so they are the right way up? My monitor is light enough for me to rotate it by 90 degrees, but quite precarious to balance in that state.

Hey, I am sorry about that, I am using my sisters Mac, and I have no idea how to use it. Can you not rotate it yourself?

EDIT: For some reason, after rotating it on my sisters mac and saving it. It still will not upload correctly. I apologize for the inconvenience.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58836.jpg

Attachments

• crickneck.jpg
    crickneck.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 372
Hahahahaha. Thanks for that NascentOxygen.
My friend was kind enough to point out my problem. Turns out the third stage's (class A output stage) output resistance is not ro7 || ro6, this is due to the fact tha Vgs of M6 is not zero, so the dependent current source in the small signal hybrid pi model conducts current, hence I needed to take that into account when calculating output resistance. That is where the extra factor comes in.

Thank you.

Related to Differential gain of 3-stage amp

1. What is the differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier?

The differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier refers to the ratio of the output voltage to the difference in input voltage between the two input terminals of the amplifier. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is an important factor in determining the overall performance and stability of the amplifier.

2. How is the differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier calculated?

The differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier can be calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in input voltage between the two input terminals. This calculation is usually done using the small-signal model of the amplifier and taking into account the gain of each individual stage.

3. What factors can affect the differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier?

There are several factors that can affect the differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier, including the design and characteristics of each individual stage, the overall gain of the amplifier, and the operating conditions such as temperature and power supply voltage. Noise and other external factors can also impact the differential gain.

4. Why is the differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier important?

The differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier is important because it affects the accuracy and stability of the amplifier's output. A high differential gain indicates that the amplifier is able to amplify small input signals effectively, while a low differential gain can lead to distortion and other unwanted effects. It is also a key parameter in determining the bandwidth and frequency response of the amplifier.

5. How can the differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier be improved?

The differential gain of a 3-stage amplifier can be improved by optimizing the design and characteristics of each individual stage, as well as the overall gain of the amplifier. Proper selection of components, such as resistors and capacitors, can also play a role in improving the differential gain. Additionally, careful consideration of operating conditions and minimizing external noise can also help improve the differential gain of the amplifier.