Differential for Real Valued Functions of Several Variables

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the book "Several Real Variables" by Shmuel Kantorovitz, specifically regarding an example on pages 65-66. The question revolves around the value of ##\mid \phi_0 (h) \mid## in the example, given that ##f(0)## does not exist. The expert explains that this apparent contradiction is due to Kantorovitz using a modified definition of the differential for functions that are not differentiable at a point. This modified definition allows him to still use the concept of the differential for such functions.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book "Several Real Variables" by Shmuel Kantorovitz ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 2: Derivation ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Kantorovitz's Example 3 on pages 65-66 ...

Kantorovitz's Example 3 on pages 65-66 reads as follows:
Kantorovitz - 1 - Example 3 ...  Page 65 ... PART 1 ... .png

Kantorovitz - 2 - Example 3 ...  Page 65 ... PART 2 ... .png

In the above example, we read the following:"... ... ##\frac{ \mid \phi_0 (h) \mid }{ \| h \| } = \frac{ \mid h_1 \text{ sin } (h_2 h_3) \mid }{ \| h \|^{ a + 1 } }## ... ... ... "
My question is as follows:In the Section on The Differential (see scanned text below) ...

Kantorovitz defines ##\phi_x(h)## as follows:

##\phi_x(h) := f(x +h) - f(x) - Lh##

so that

##\phi_0(h) := f(0 +h) - f(0 ) - Lh = f(h) - f(0)## ...... BUT in the Example ... as I understand it ... ##f(0)## does not exist for the function in Example 3 ...? ...

... BUT ... Kantorovitz effectively gives ##\mid \phi_0 (h) \mid = \frac{ \mid h_1 \text{ sin } (h_2 h_3) \mid }{ \| h \| }##
Can someone please explain how Kantorovitz gets this value for ##\mid \phi_0 (h) \mid## when ##f(0)## does not exist?Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter==============================================================================

***NOTE***

Readers of the above post may be helped by having access to Kantorovitz' Section on "The Differential" ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:
Kantorovitz - 1 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 1 ... .png

Kantorovitz - 2 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 2 ... .png

Kantorovitz - 3 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 3 ... .png

Hope that helps in understanding the post ...

Peter

Attachments

• Kantorovitz - 1 - Example 3 ...  Page 65 ... PART 1 ... .png
    Kantorovitz - 1 - Example 3 ... Page 65 ... PART 1 ... .png
    15.3 KB · Views: 766
  • Kantorovitz - 2 - Example 3 ...  Page 65 ... PART 2 ... .png
    Kantorovitz - 2 - Example 3 ... Page 65 ... PART 2 ... .png
    17.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Kantorovitz - 1 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 1 ... .png
    Kantorovitz - 1 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 1 ... .png
    27.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Kantorovitz - 2 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 2 ... .png
    Kantorovitz - 2 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 2 ... .png
    34.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Kantorovitz - 3 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 3 ... .png
    Kantorovitz - 3 - Sectiion on the DIfferential ... PART 3 ... .png
    13.2 KB · Views: 286
Physics news on Phys.org
I've just noticed that the author defines the function to be zero at zero!

:frown: ... careless of me to miss that!

My apologies ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

I can see why you're confused about this example. It does seem like there's a contradiction between Kantorovitz's definition of ##\phi_0(h)## and the fact that ##f(0)## does not exist for the function in Example 3.

However, I believe the key to understanding this lies in the fact that Kantorovitz is using a slightly different definition of the differential for this example. In the section on "The Differential," he defines ##\phi_x(h)## as ##f(x+h) - f(x) - Lh##, as you mentioned.

But in Example 3, he uses a modified version of this definition, specifically for functions that are not differentiable at the point x. He defines ##\phi_x(h)## as ##f(x+h) - f(x)##, rather than ##f(x+h) - f(x) - Lh##. This modified definition allows him to still use the concept of the differential, even for functions that are not differentiable at a point.

So in the example, when he says ##\phi_0(h) := f(0+h) - f(0) - Lh##, he really means ##\phi_0(h) := f(0+h) - f(0)##, which is consistent with his modified definition.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Differential for Real Valued Functions of Several Variables

What is a differential for real valued functions of several variables?

A differential for real valued functions of several variables is a mathematical concept that represents the change in the function's value when its inputs are changed. It is used to calculate the slope or gradient of the function at a specific point.

How is the differential of a real valued function of several variables calculated?

The differential of a real valued function of several variables is calculated using partial derivatives. Each partial derivative represents the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its input variables. The differential is then expressed as a sum of these partial derivatives multiplied by the corresponding changes in the input variables.

What is the relationship between the differential and the total derivative?

The differential and the total derivative are closely related concepts. The differential is a linear approximation of the total derivative at a specific point. The total derivative, also known as the Jacobian matrix, represents the generalization of the differential for functions with multiple inputs and outputs.

What is the significance of differentiability in relation to differentials?

Differentiability is a property of a real valued function that indicates the existence of a well-defined differential at each point in its domain. If a function is differentiable, its differential can be calculated and used to approximate the function's behavior around a specific point. This is useful in optimization and approximation problems.

Can the differential of a real valued function of several variables be interpreted geometrically?

Yes, the differential can be interpreted geometrically as the slope or gradient of the function at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate of change of the function in the input space. This interpretation is particularly useful in visualizing and understanding the behavior of functions with multiple variables.