Integral of 1/(x^1/3 + x^1/4): Can Anyone Help?

• Thread starter stoffer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the original poster asked for help with integrating 1/ (x^1/3 + x^1/4) and got a confusing answer. The original poster then asked for help with integrating 1/ (x^sin(x) + x^cos(x)) and got a confusing answer. The original poster then asked for help with integrating 1/ (x^1/3 + x^1/4) and got a confusing answer. The original poster then asked for help with integrating 1/ (x^sin(x) + x^cos(x)) and got a confusing answer.
stoffer
Can anybody help me with the integral of 1/ (x^1/3 + x^1/4)
(cube root and fourth root of x) I don't really know where to start.

Also my roomate and i were wondering if x^sin(x) exists or if it has to be expressed and integrated as some sort of series.(something i haven't learned yet)

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could rewrite it as 1 / (x^(1/4) * (1 + x^(1/12))) and use partial fractions? I don't really know. Looks like it'll be pretty messy...

try substituting x = y^12

as for x^sin(x).. it's exp{log(x^sinx)} = exp{sinx*log(x)}

that's the standard way of defining x^f(x)

ok thanks for your help guys

stoffer said:
Can anybody help me with the integral of 1/ (x^1/3 + x^1/4)
(cube root and fourth root of x) I don't really know where to start.

Also my roomate and i were wondering if x^sin(x) exists or if it has to be expressed and integrated as some sort of series.(something i haven't learned yet)

just take the ln of that.. and do the rest intuitively, but hey what do i know, I am only 16.

MlleRosie said:
This is actually a very simple integral. Rewrite it as [tex] \int x^{-\frac{1}{3}} + x^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx [/tex]

That is certainly not the same as the function in the original post.

MlleRosie said:
Sorry, I meant [tex] \int x^{-\frac{1}{3}} + x^{-\frac{1}{4}} dx [/tex]

That still isn't the same function. You can't manipulate fractions like that, it just doesn't work.

This is why I'm not a fan of rushing people into calculus without a solid foundation in the basics of algebra. (In reference to d_leet's quotes.)

Anyway, matt's substitution kills this integral. You can also re-write the integrand as:

[itex]\frac{x^{12}}{x^4 + x^3} = \frac{x^9}{1 + x} = \frac{x^9 + 1 - 1}{1+x}[/itex]

Then proceed...

morphism said:
Anyway, matt's substitution kills this integral. You can also re-write the integrand as:

[itex]\frac{x^{12}}{x^4 + x^3} = \frac{x^9}{1 + x} = \frac{x^9 + 1 - 1}{1+x}[/itex]

Then proceed...

Actually it's a power less in the numerator:

[itex] I=\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x}+\sqrt[4]{x}}=12 \int \frac{y^{8}}{y+1}{}dy [/itex]

,where [itex] y=\sqrt[12]{x} [/itex].

dextercioby said:
Actually it's a power less in the numerator:

[itex] I=\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x}+\sqrt[4]{x}}=12 \int \frac{y^{8}}{y+1}{}dy [/itex]

,where [itex] y=\sqrt[12]{x} [/itex].
I didn't use the substitution...

1. What is the integral of 1/(x^1/3 + x^1/4)?

The integral of 1/(x^1/3 + x^1/4) is a complex function and does not have a simple solution. It involves the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as substitution and integration by parts.

2. Is there a specific method to solve this integral?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to solve this integral. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition.

3. Can anyone help me solve this integral?

While solving this integral may be challenging, there are many resources available to help you. You can consult a math tutor, use online integral calculators, or refer to textbooks and online tutorials for step-by-step guidance.

4. What are the applications of this integral?

The integral of 1/(x^1/3 + x^1/4) has various applications in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to calculate the volume of certain shapes, determine the center of mass, and solve optimization problems.

5. Can this integral be solved using computer programs?

Yes, there are many computer programs such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple that can solve this integral. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematics and concepts before relying on these programs.