Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Differential Equations Tutorial Will Return...Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

Back on MHF, my Differential Equations Tutorial was beneficial to many members and I was proud of my contribution to the site. However, with the fall of MHF, I have not been able to retrieve my old posts. So my plan is to start a completely new one on this site -- from scratch. I will be incorporating the following sources into my tutorial: DiPrima, Edwards and Penney, THE ORIGINAL Hirsch and Smale, and Arnold (for the theory parts). My goal is to have the tutorial started by the middle of next week, and a pdf version will be attached to each post. I hope to address things I never focused on in the first tutorial, including but not limited to power series methods, numerical methods (Euler's method, Runge Kutta, etc.) and a bit on bifurcations and dynamical systems.

Please stay tuned for updates!

Last edited:

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Update #1: I have started writing the LaTeX document (book) that will have the contents of my future posts. I'm about 20% of the way through of what I want to write about for my first tutorial post(s). My plan is to make a thread for each chapter in my book, and subsequent posts will be on the sections of each chapter. This way, it will be easier to edit mistakes instead of reading through pages of the same thread to find said mistakes.

At the end of each chapter in the pdf version, there will be a bunch of exercises for you to try; they will usually incorporate what was covered in that chapter and I'll try to make some of the application questions interesting! (Tongueout)

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Update #2: I've been busy with coursework lately, but have finally found the time to continue working on material I'll be using in my first post. I should have the first chapter of my tutorial finished sometime this weekend. I'm excited by how things are turning out, and I can't wait to share it with you all!!! (Bigsmile)

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Update #3: I realize we're about half way through July and I haven't started the tutorial yet. Well, that's in large part due to me being busy with coursework and prelims since February. I'm currently at the UC-Berkeley campus (for my MSRI workshop on mathematical general relativity) until July 20th, so I won't be able to make any new posts until after the workshop is finished. I'll post what I currently have so far in the meantime, but expect posts on new topics to appear after August 1st (I'm also helping my sister move from Hawaii to San José, so that's why I can't promise anything before August 1st).

Status
Not open for further replies.