Differential Equations or Matrix Algebra for Physic Major

In summary, for a Physics major, it is recommended to take both Differential Equations and Matrix Algebra. If given the option, it is suggested to take Linear Algebra first, but it is important to have a strong understanding of both subjects. Taking a class that teaches both concepts together would be ideal but is rare. Linear algebra is essential for QM and can also be taught in a differential equations class. It is also important to have a strong understanding of abstract vector spaces, matrices, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors, which are taught in both differential equations and linear algebra classes.
Thadis
I am signing up for my third quarter of college classes soon and I have to choose if I am going to take Differential Equations or Matrix Algebra this quarter. I am given the option to take either of them and I do not know if I will be able to take the other one anytime soon. Which of the two classes would be the wiser choice take earlier for a Physics major?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite honestly, you will need both! and beyond! I took them together. In my opinion, it does not matter which one you take first, but just for the sake of an answer, choose linear algebra first.

I hope I will be able to take both as I always hear people talk about how useful they both are. Though do you mind going into more detail of why you think I should pick Matrix Algebra first?

An ideal situation would be to take a class that teaches both concepts together. BUT THAT IS RARE. I took diffy qs and linear algebra and probably the most "dropable" in hindsight would have been diffy qs, but this is kind of like saying which limb is easiest to cut off. Both classes are necessary, but for solving diffy qs in physics, they often teach these methods on the fly in the physics classes. For me it is recap, instead of brand new.

But if I chose which thing I'd rather have to learn on the fly WHILE LEARNING new physics at the same time, I'd choose diffy qs, maybe because linear algebra is less intuitive and less forgiving and quantum mechanics is hard enough without having taken linear algebra.

If you want to major in physics I consider linear algebra a must, I don't care what other "methods of mathematical physics" or whatever classes you may take. Linear algebra is unskippable because you don't want to go into QM with a shaky understanding of matrices.

Ok thanks, I think I am going to try to get into a Matrix Algebra class then for this quarter. If I end up needing to I can take Diff Eq next year as I am a quarter ahead in math though I would prefer to stay ahead if possible.

If you are getting a physics degree at a place that does not require differential equations, transfer.

Seriously.

Is matrix algebra the same as linear algebra?

Linear algebra is important, but also applies to differential equations. For example, the Schroedinger equation in quantum mechanics is a dfferential equation. Yet linear algebra is the underlying mathematical structure of quantum mechanics.

What is most important is exposure to the abstract structure in linear algebra. A matrix algebra class, if it does not teach that, is not so useful for physics.

A differential equations class, OTOH, will teach some matrix algebra automatically, eigenvectors etc, and if taught with physics in mind, will teach linear algebra.

For example, http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educ...uations-and-Linear-Algebra/9780136054252.page is a differential equations text but includes linear algebra.

Here is the descrpition of Matrix Algebra with Applications.

"Systems of linear equations, vector spaces, matrices, subspaces, orthogonality, least squares, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, applications. For students in engineering, mathematics, and the sciences."

There is also a second class "Linear Analysis" which takes Matrix Algebra and Diff Eq. as a prereq.

Thadis said:
Here is the descrpition of Matrix Algebra with Applications.

"Systems of linear equations, vector spaces, matrices, subspaces, orthogonality, least squares, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, applications. For students in engineering, mathematics, and the sciences."

There is also a second class "Linear Analysis" which takes Matrix Algebra and Diff Eq. as a prereq.

The key thing needed for QM is the abstract vector space concept, which is listed in the course description.

You will probably also find matrices, eigenvalues, eigenvectors also taught in the differential equations course, because they are used to solve linear differential equations. Before QM I had taken a de class, but not a linear algebra class (which I still have not taken). However, I had learned the essential bits of linear algebra on my own from Seymour Lipschutz's "Linear Algebra".

Related to Differential Equations or Matrix Algebra for Physic Major

1. What is the difference between a differential equation and a matrix equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in terms of rates of change. On the other hand, a matrix equation is a set of equations in which variables are represented by matrices and operations are performed on these matrices. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, which can also be used to model physical systems.

2. How are differential equations and matrix algebra used in physics?

Differential equations and matrix algebra are fundamental tools in physics for modeling and solving complex systems. They are used to describe the dynamics of physical systems, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the evolution of quantum systems. They are also used in statistical mechanics to model the behavior of large groups of particles.

3. What are the applications of differential equations in physics?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in physics. Some examples include modeling the motion of projectiles, describing the behavior of waves, and predicting the trajectory of objects in a gravitational field. They are also used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of liquids and gases, and in electromagnetism to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does matrix algebra relate to quantum mechanics?

Matrix algebra is crucial in understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics. In this context, matrices are used to represent quantum states and operators, which are used to describe physical observables such as position and momentum. Matrix algebra is also used to perform calculations and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What are some real-life examples of differential equations and matrix algebra in physics?

Some real-life examples of differential equations and matrix algebra in physics include predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling the behavior of electrical circuits, and analyzing the motion of particles in a magnetic field. They are also used in engineering applications, such as designing control systems for robots and predicting the behavior of materials under stress.