Differential equations involving the function composition

In summary: If it is separable, how I can proceed to finding a solution considering that there is the composition given in the function?Multiply both sides for dx gettingg(f(x)) f'(x) dx = g(x) dxThen integrate both sidesG(f(x)) = G(x)where G is a primitive of g, and you get f(x) = x as pasmith suggestedMultiply both sides for dx gettingg(f(x)) f'(x) dx = g(x) dxThen integrate both sidesG(f(x)) = G(x)
dftfunctional
I have not met differential equations involving the composition functions (also not much literature on it).

Assume we know the form of g=g(x), and need to solve the following differential equation, finding f=f(x):

(g∘f)f'=g

Where g∘f=g(f(x)).

Does anybody have a strategy for solving the above-mentioned differential equation, that involves such function composition?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you can apply separation of variables and integrate

dftfunctional said:
I have not met differential equations involving the composition functions (also not much literature on it).

Assume we know the form of g=g(x), and need to solve the following differential equation, finding f=f(x):

(g∘f)f'=g

Where g∘f=g(f(x)).

By inspection, [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] is a solution.

Does anybody have a strategy for solving the above-mentioned differential equation, that involves such function composition?

Such ODEs are in general non-linear, and there are no general strategies for solving non-linear ODEs unless they happen to be separable.

mbp said:

pasmith said:
By inspection, [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] is a solution.

Thank you both,

As a trained material scientist I am not an expert on ODE. Could you please, therefore provide me more details.

mbp said:

pasmith said:
Such ODEs are in general non-linear, and there are no general strategies for solving non-linear ODEs unless they happen to be separable.

If it is separable, how I can proceed to finding a solution considering that there is the composition given in the function?

Multiply both sides for dx getting

g(f(x)) f'(x) dx = g(x) dx

Then integrate both sides

G(f(x)) = G(x)

where G is a primitive of g, and you get f(x) = x as pasmith suggested

mbp said:
Multiply both sides for dx getting

Then integrate both sides

G(f(x)) = G(x)

where G is a primitive of g

Thank you very much,

as far as I understood G(f(x)) = G(x) would be equivalent to:

∫ g(f(x)df = ∫g(x)dx

And per inspection we could find that one solution is f(x)=x. Empirically I know that there are many solutions to the given equation. Is there a way for "exctracting" f(x) or getting rid of the composition function in the integrand from the (again):

∫ g(f(x)df = ∫g(x)dx

Related to Differential equations involving the function composition

1. What is a differential equation involving function composition?

A differential equation involving function composition is an equation that involves a function being composed of other functions, and the derivatives of those functions. It is used to represent relationships between variables that are changing over time or space.

2. What are the types of differential equations involving function composition?

There are two main types of differential equations involving function composition: ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

3. How do you solve a differential equation involving function composition?

The method for solving a differential equation involving function composition depends on the type of equation and its complexity. Some equations can be solved analytically using integration or other mathematical techniques, while others may require numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. What are some real-life applications of differential equations involving function composition?

Differential equations involving function composition are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics.

5. What are the challenges in solving differential equations involving function composition?

Solving differential equations involving function composition can be challenging due to the complex nature of the equations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, obtaining accurate initial conditions and parameters for the equations can be difficult, and some equations may not have exact analytical solutions, requiring the use of numerical methods.