Differential equation with integral

In summary, the equation has a decreasing function ##g(b)##, a constant ##k##, and a delay differential equation framework does not apply.
petterson
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to solve the following equation for ## F(b)##:
$$ F(g(b)) h(b) + F'(b) s(b) - F(b)h(b) + h(b) + \int_{g(b)}^{b} v(x) F'(x) dx = 0 $$

Any hints on how to tackle this would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's the presence of the integral that throws you off, you can get rid of it by differentiating both sides with respect to b. For the part that is the integral, we have

$$
\frac d{db}\left(\int_{g(b)}^{b} v(x) F'(x) dx\right)
=v(b) F'(b)-
\left(v(x) F'(x))
\right)g'(b)
$$
To see this, let the function ##A## be the antiderivative of the integrand. Then the definite integral is
$$A(b)-A(g(b))$$
We differentiate that wrt b and use the fact that ##\frac {dA(y)}{dy}=v(y) F'(y)## to get the above formula.

Likes petterson
Thanks andrewkirk. Doing what you proposed the equation looks nicer, I obtain the following:

$$ F'(g(b)) g'(b) [h(b) - v(g(b))] + F(g(b)) h'(b) + F''(b)s(b) + F'(b) [s'(b) + v(b) - h(b)] - F(b) h'(b) + h'(b) = 0 $$

There is still the issue with those nested function ##F(g(b))## and ##F'(g(b))##. How could I deal with that?

I was able to simplify my problem to the following equation:
$$ F(g(b)) - F(b) + F'(b)h(b) + F''(b) s(b) - k = 0 $$
##g(b)## is a decreasing function, k a constant. If necessary, one could also assume that ##g(b)## is an affine function. Does the delay differential equation framework apply here? I'm not sure since g(b) is decreasing. Could one possibly get a numerical solution with the ddesd function in Matlab?
Thanks!

Related to Differential equation with integral

What is a differential equation with integral?

A differential equation with integral is a type of equation that involves both a function and its derivative, as well as an integral of the function. It is used to model many real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

How is a differential equation with integral solved?

Solving a differential equation with integral involves finding an expression for the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, or numerically, using computer algorithms.

What is the significance of differential equations with integrals?

Differential equations with integrals are important because they allow us to model and understand complex systems in the natural world. They are used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to describe and predict the behavior of various phenomena.

What are some applications of differential equations with integrals?

Differential equations with integrals are used in a wide range of applications, including calculating population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, predicting weather patterns, analyzing electrical circuits, and much more. They are a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of dynamic systems.

What are some common challenges when working with differential equations with integrals?

One of the main challenges when working with differential equations with integrals is finding a closed-form solution, or an analytical expression for the function that satisfies the equation. This can be difficult and sometimes impossible, leading to the need for numerical methods. Another challenge is determining the appropriate initial conditions for the equation, which can greatly affect the behavior of the solution.