Differential Equation with Function of Shifted Variable

In summary, the conversation discussed how to solve an equation with a shifted variable, where the function was of t-1 instead of t. It was suggested to use Leibnitz notation to change the variable and then solve the differential-difference equation. The conversation also mentioned that this type of equation is difficult to solve and suggested looking up delay-differential equations. Additionally, a possible solution using the Lambert W function was mentioned.
Gackhammer
Hey guys, I have a question for you... how would one go about solving an equation like this...

gif.gif
or this...

gif.gif
This came across my mind the other day. I was wondering how to solve that equation if the function is of t-1, instead of t. Obviously, if it was f(t), the solution would be Ce^t, but I was wondering if there is a way to find stuff for f(t-1).

Is there any literature that would help lead meh into da right direction? Obviously my title doesn't do much justice, so I wanted to know if stuff like this has already been dun before!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to work in Leibnitz notation: $$\frac{d}{dt}y(t)=y(t-1)$$ I'd change the variable ...##\small x=t-1\Rightarrow t=x+1\Rightarrow dt/dx = 1## - multiply both sides by ##\small dt/dx##: $$\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx} = y(x)\frac{dt}{dx}$$
----------------------
niggle: for clarity, the prime goes with the function and not the operand thus: ##y^\prime(t)## and not ##y(t)^\prime##

I am not sure what you are suggesting with this. If you are suggesting that the left side becomes
dy/dx so that, since dt/dx= 1, dy/dx(x)= y(x), you are mistaken. With the change of variable, this becomes dy/dx(x+1)= y(x). Either way, this is a "differential-difference" equation which can be very difficult to solve.

Typically, rather than an "initial value" at specific value of t, the initial value is over an interval, say 0 to 1, and you can solve the equation "interval by interval".

For example, if we are given that f(t)= t for t in [0, 1], then, for t between 1 and 2, the equation is f'(t)= t-1 so that f(t)= t^2/2- t+ C. Since f is continuous at t= 1, we have f(1)= 1= 1/2- 1+ C so that C= 2- 1/2= 3/2. f(t)= t^2- t+ 3/2 for t in [1, 2].

For t in [1, 2], [itex]f'(t)= (t-1)^2- (t-1)+ 3/2= t^2- 3t+ 7/2[/itex]. Integrating, [itex]f(t)= (1/3)t^3- (3/2)t^2+ (7/2)t+ C[/itex]. Since f is continuous at t= 2, [itex]f(2)= 4- 2+ 3/2= 7/2= 8/3- 6+ 7+ C[/itex] so that C= -11/3. [itex]f(t)= (1/3)t^3- (3/2)t^2+ (7/2)t- 11/3[/itex] for x in [1, 2]

Continue like that.

Likes 1 person
Gackhammer said:
Hey guys, I have a question for you... how would one go about solving an equation like this...

gif.gif

or this...

gif.gif

This came across my mind the other day. I was wondering how to solve that equation if the function is of t-1, instead of t. Obviously, if it was f(t), the solution would be Ce^t, but I was wondering if there is a way to find stuff for f(t-1).

Is there any literature that would help lead meh into da right direction? Obviously my title doesn't do much justice, so I wanted to know if stuff like this has already been dun before!

Thanks!

That's a delay-differential equation. You can look that up. You can solve this one numerically for a particular initial function value in the interval (-1,0) for example, y(t)=t+1. We'd then solve:

[tex]y'(t)=y(t-1),\quad y(t)=t+1, t\in [-1,0][/tex]

Now, try and use the Euler method to solve that IVP for say t=0 to 5. Just a suggestion.

Likes 1 person
One solution of the equation ##f'(x)=f(x-1)## is ##f(x)=e^{W(1)x}##, where ##W(x)## is the Lambert W function. Also that solution multiplied by any constant is a solution.

That kind of DE:s with a shifted variable don't appear much in physics, as they describe non-local dynamics.

HallsofIvy said:
I am not sure what you are suggesting with this. If you are suggesting that the left side becomes
dy/dx so that, since dt/dx= 1, dy/dx(x)= y(x), you are mistaken. With the change of variable, this becomes dy/dx(x+1)= y(x). Either way, this is a "differential-difference" equation which can be very difficult to solve.
Yeah - I stuffed up :(

Related to Differential Equation with Function of Shifted Variable

What is a differential equation with function of shifted variable?

A differential equation with function of shifted variable is an equation that involves both a function and its derivative with respect to a shifted variable. It describes the relationship between a variable and its rate of change, taking into account the effect of shifting the variable by a certain amount.

What is the significance of a shifted variable in a differential equation?

A shifted variable in a differential equation allows us to model real-world situations where the variable is affected by a certain shift or change. This allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of the relationship between the variable and its rate of change.

What is the process for solving a differential equation with function of shifted variable?

The process for solving a differential equation with function of shifted variable involves finding the general solution of the equation and then using initial conditions to determine the specific solution. This may involve using techniques such as separation of variables, integration, and substitution.

How are differential equations with function of shifted variable used in science?

Differential equations with function of shifted variable are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They can be used to predict future behavior, understand the underlying mechanisms, and make informed decisions.

What are some common applications of differential equations with function of shifted variable?

Some common applications of differential equations with function of shifted variable include modeling population growth, chemical reactions, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as engineering, medicine, and finance to solve complex problems and make predictions.