What is your guess at Drake's answer?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers a question about the estimated number of planets or other environments in the universe that can support intelligent life. The definition of intelligence is also discussed, with a mention of including other environments such as giant gas cloud jellyfish. The possibility of life in other galaxies is also brought up, but the focus remains on the Milky Way galaxy. Some individuals propose a guess of 10^10 while others estimate a few hundred intelligent species in our galaxy. Ultimately, the exact number remains unknown and subjective.

How many planet with intelligent life in the Universe?

• 10^0

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 10^1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10^6

• 10^10

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • About a google +- 10^50

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So how about it? What is your estimate or guess at the number of planets or other environments in the universe [no multi-verses please ] that support intelligent life. I will define intelligence as the ability to understand some form of abstract mathematics.

Note that I add "other environments” to allow for really weird stuff like giant gas cloud jellyfish

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
So how about it? What is your estimate or guess at the number of planets or other environments in the universe [no multi-verses please ] that support intelligent life. I will define intelligence as the ability to understand some form of abstract mathematics.

Note that I add "other environments” to allow for really weird stuff like giant gas cloud jellyfish

Hi, if you change the question to be about the Milky Way galaxy
I will try to come up with a guess.

But if it is about the universe, I don't even know the number of galaxies. Besides which it's only life in our own galaxy that I imagine humans encountering at some point in our history. Life in other galaxies does not interest me so much. So would rather not bother to estimate its abundance.

I think Frank Drake was thinking about radiocommunication and that his speculations and equation were mainly concerned with our galaxy also---but I don't know for sure about that.

Originally posted by marcus
Hi, if you change the question to be about the Milky Way galaxy
I will try to come up with a guess.

But if it is about the universe, I don't even know the number of galaxies. Besides which it's only life in our own galaxy that I imagine humans encountering at some point in our history. Life in other galaxies does not interest me so much. So would rather not bother to estimate its abundance.

I think Frank Drake was thinking about radiocommunication and that his speculations and equation were mainly concerned with our galaxy also---but I don't know for sure about that.

Whoops! uh,hmmm. You're right of course. I hadn't looked at this for so long...I was thinking we went for the whole universe.
The key concept of radio should have reminded me.
Even though I would really be intersted in the guesses for the entire universe, I suppose we may rule out too many votes that way.
Heck, how about both? I'll start another thread.

If you do start a thread concerning this galaxy
then I shall vote immediately.
I think the right order of magnitude to guess is 10.

(some people trying to be funny will say zero)

Originally posted by marcus
(some people trying to be funny will say zero)
Of course they could be right! Heck, even if we are completely alone in the universe, who are we to say what intelligence is? :wink:

Greetings !

My rough and yet best estimate is a few
hundreds of intellegent spiecies in our galaxy.
So, I just answered 10^10, but of course I don't
quite have any idea how many galaxies there are...:wink:

Live long and prosper.

1. What does "Drake's answer" refer to?

"Drake's answer" refers to the response or opinion given by the rapper and musician, Drake, on a particular topic or question.

2. Is Drake known for giving insightful answers?

Drake is known for his lyrical ability and storytelling in his music, but it is subjective as to whether his answers are considered insightful. Some may find his answers thought-provoking and meaningful, while others may not.

3. Can you provide an example of a question that Drake has answered?

One example of a question that Drake has answered is in his song "God's Plan," where he reflects on his success and the impact he wants to make with his platform.

4. How do Drake's answers differ from other artists?

Drake's answers may differ from other artists in terms of his personal experiences and perspectives. Each artist has their own unique voice and way of expressing themselves, so their answers may vary.

5. Does Drake's answer hold any weight in the scientific community?

As a scientist, I would say that Drake's answer may not hold significant weight in the scientific community, as it is not based on empirical evidence or research. However, his answers may still hold cultural or societal significance.