Differential Equation - Springs

In summary, the problem involves a spring with a spring constant of 100 lbs/ft, loaded with a 1-pound weight and brought to equilibrium. The spring is then stretched 1 inch and released. The equation of motion, amplitude, and period are found by solving the second-order non-homogeneous differential equation. After correcting some initial mistakes, the final equation is determined to be x = -7.06 + 6.976*cos(6.742t).
τheory

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant k of 100 pounds per foot is loaded with 1-pound weight and brought to equilibrium. It is then stretched an additional 1 inch and released. Find the equation of motion, the amplitude, and the period. Neglect friction.

Find the displacement function x(t)

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Fs = -kx
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = Fg + Fs
ma = mg + (-kx)
mx'' = mg + (-kx)
mx'' + kx = mg

Converting Units:
m = 1 kg = 2.2 lbs
g = -9.8 m/s^2 = -32.1 ft/s^2
k = 100 lbs/ft

Solving Second Order Non-Homogeneous DE:
mx'' + kx = mg
2.2x'' + 100x = -70.6

Particular Solution:
Xp = A
X'p = 0
X''p = 0

2.2*0 + 100*A = -70.6
A = -7.06

2.2x'' + 100x = 0
Roots = 0 ± 6.742i

x = -7.06 + C1*cos(6.742t) + C2*sin(6.742t)

Using Conditions:
x = -1 inch or -0.083 feet when t = 0
x' = 0 ft/s when t = 0

-0.083 = -7.06 + C1*cos(0) + C2*sin(0)
-0.083 = -7.06 + C1
C1 = 6.976

x' = -6.742*C1*sin(6.742t) + 6.742*C2*cos(6.742t)
0 = -6.742*C1*sin(0) + 6.742*C2*cos(0)
0 = 6.742*C2
C2 = 0

Final Equation:
x = -7.06 + 6.976*cos(6.742t)

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Turns out, I incorrectly assumed the situation pertaining the the spring; the spring is not being hung from the ceiling as I initially presumed, it is set sideways. Thus, gravity is not a force to be considered in this problem. Another problem was that I utilized 1 lb as the mass. However, mass is in terms of grams and I neglected to convert weight to mass. In the end, after correcting these mistakes, I was able to submit the answer on Webwork and got it right.

Last edited:

Related to Differential Equation - Springs

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of calculus to find the function that satisfies the equation.

What is a spring differential equation?

A spring differential equation is an equation that describes the motion of a spring under the influence of an external force. It typically involves the use of Hooke's law and Newton's second law of motion.

What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is extended or compressed. This relationship can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, represented by the symbol k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is a constant value that relates the force applied to a spring to the resulting displacement of the spring.

How are differential equations used in modeling springs?

Differential equations are used in modeling springs to describe the relationship between the motion of the spring and the forces acting upon it. By solving the differential equation, we can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the spring at any given time.