Differential equation of gradually varied flow

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the third formula of dy/dx and the use of n and b in the equation. The author's working is questioned, but it is determined that there is nothing wrong with it. The conversation ends with a simple explanation of how to solve the equation.
fonseh

Homework Statement

I have no idea how the third formula of dy/dx is derived ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Q = (1/n)(A)(R^2/3) [(s)(^0.5)] ,
Q = K [(s)(^0.5)]
, so , K= (1/n)(A)(R^2/3)

i know that for very wide channel , y = R
A = by
K= (1/n)(A)(R^2/3)
= (1/n)(by)(y^2/3)
= (1/n)(b)(y^5/3)
Thus , (K^2) = [[ (1/n)(b)]^2 ](y^10/3)
but , it seems that the author just got (y^10/3) ,

So , is the author wrong ?

Attachments

• 572.PNG
    572.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 829
Physics news on Phys.org
On first sight: no. Consider ##{K_0\over K}## instead of just ##K##.
There is no second sight because your use of the template is utterly unenlightening...

Likes fonseh
BvU said:
On first sight: no. Consider ##{K_0\over K}## instead of just ##K##.
There is no second sight because your use of the template is utterly unenlightening...
sorry , i mean $$K_0$$ corresponds to $$y_0$$
and $$K$$ corresponds to $$y$$

Yes, I understand. Don't the n's and the b's cancel ?

Likes fonseh
BvU said:
Yes, I understand. Don't the n's and the b's cancel ?
in my working , i can't cancel the n and b ... Is there anything wrong with my working ?

Not from what I can see :smile: because what I can see is nothing ...(refer to post #2). I have no idea what this is about.

I see you write ##K^2 = (b/n)^2\; y^{10/3}## and I add ##K_0^2 = (b/n) ^2\; y_0^{10/3}## leading to ##\left ( {K_0\over K}\right ) ^2 = \left ({y_0\over y}\right )^{10/3}##. That simple.

Likes fonseh

Related to Differential equation of gradually varied flow

1. What is a differential equation of gradually varied flow?

A differential equation of gradually varied flow is a mathematical model that describes the change in water surface elevation over a distance in an open channel or river. It takes into account various factors such as channel slope, flow rate, channel geometry, and roughness of the channel walls.

2. How is a differential equation of gradually varied flow different from other types of equations?

A differential equation of gradually varied flow is different from other types of equations because it is a partial differential equation, meaning it involves multiple variables and their rates of change. It also accounts for changes in water surface elevation over a distance, rather than at a single point.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential equations of gradually varied flow?

Differential equations of gradually varied flow are commonly used in the field of hydrology for predicting water levels in rivers, designing irrigation systems, and analyzing flood risks. They are also important in hydraulic engineering for designing channels, dams, and other water control structures.

4. What are the limitations of using a differential equation of gradually varied flow?

One limitation of using a differential equation of gradually varied flow is that it assumes steady flow conditions, meaning that the flow rate and channel characteristics do not change over time. It also does not take into account factors such as turbulence and water flow interactions that can occur in real-world situations.

5. How are differential equations of gradually varied flow solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations of gradually varied flow, such as the direct step method, the direct integration method, and the method of characteristics. These methods involve using numerical techniques to approximate the solution, as closed-form solutions are often not possible for complex scenarios.